Briggs 4hp Restoration

Hi all,

I enjoyed making the restoration thread for the 74 5HP, so I really wanted to make one for the 65 4HP. :thumbsup:

I tore the worn motor down today, and checked it over. The cylinder will get a light hone, as new piston rings were installed not too long ago without honing. I think that I will either have to sand the piston smooth, or get a new one. Has anyone done this?
The valve guides are perfect.

There is one problem, one of the head bolt threads is stripped. I will have to re-thread it :doah:

I have done some sandblasting today, and the head is almost ready for painting.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Nice looking motor...had nice patina..don't see too many 4 hp.

Are you saying the head bolt itself is stripped or the threads in the block ?

Last edited:
image.jpg image.jpg here s two different types the first uses lock-tite the second uses little spikes that drive into the aluminum. Here's a standard helicoil which is timed to the thread pitch so it can be used in tighter areas. It is basically a wire image.jpg and here's a thin walled solid insert that's also timed to thread image.jpg

CarPlayLB

View attachment 74564 View attachment 74565 here s two different types the first uses lock-tite the second uses little spikes that drive into the aluminum. Here's a standard helicoil which is timed to the thread pitch so it can be used in tighter areas. It is basically a wire View attachment 74566 and here's a thin walled solid insert that's also timed to thread View attachment 74567
Thanks! I am familiar with heli-coils...a primitive Pete like me needs those! I had not seen the steel ones though. Do they take special taps like heli-coils? ...and where do you buy them?

The top 2 take standard larger taps. Like a 3/8"-16 thread insert ez-lok (pictured first) uses a 9/16"-12. The kind with the spikes also uses standard taps but they use a fine thread so the spikes can drive in easier. You can get them from fastenal, grainger, msc maybe even ace hardware.

Hey, at least we learned something! CarPlayLB, I really like that 5hp in your pic! :laugh:

I finished sandblasting and painting the head. The air filter assembly is also completed with a new filter.

I gave the valve seats a grind with fine paste and beefed them up a little. I will need to purchase new valves, however. Do you recommend replacing the lifters, too?

I have also sandblasted the block, and would be ready for paint, but we have yet to hone it. Also, I brought a new muffler, but is skips past some of the threads, like the block has sort of expanded. It does screw in, though. :thumbsup:

Everything is fine...