Briggs 5.5, any good?

I have always been a techumseh man, i got all my mowers and my bike techumseh, i like them, but im not hardcore to them, i just used to prefer them.

anyways, i got an offer on a briggs 5.5 intek(i think) that i want to swap in my hustler, the guy wants 100$ for the motor NIB, never ran or nothing, is this a good deal?

where can i buy upgrade parts and how much power can i juice from this mill? i have never ran or upgraded a briggs before, all help is appreciated,,

and what upgrade do i do for ultimate low-end, i am 160lbs and my cousin is much bigger, so we want it to snap off the line and the torq-a-verter should take care of the top end.. just curious, never ran a breaks-and-scrap'em, LOL

Last edited:
For a new motor that's a great price. Used they go for 50-75$. These motors share a lot of the same parts as the animal version - a race motor. So there is plenty of stuff around. I'd drop it on your bike and see how you like it as is before changing anything. We put a 5.5 like yours on my buddies DB 30 and runs great, plenty of grunt. It will run about 35 mph top speed. These engines are very easy to hook up as well, throttle linkage is no biggie, only issue is figuring out some sort of gas tank to use.