Briggs Flat head Engines

Does Briggs & Stratton still make new 2 or 3 HP flat head ez spin engines with the pulse jet carb with the small tank ? Same with the Tecumseh the small flat head engines with the bowl type carb. I see some honda small engines but they are OVH engines . I need a small engine for a mini live axle trike .
Any help would be great. Steve :scooter:

I saw a 3hp Briggs at Tractor Supply the other day. I don't think they advertise the easy spin starting any more,and it had plastic covers around the carb, but it was mounted on the tank. It did look pretty good, basically like the old ones other than the carb cover and throttle. Carb is likely plastic too.
It was $219. The smallest Tecumsehs I've seen advertised was the H40 4hp.
They have float carbs but no adjustable jet screws. Also primer bulbs instead of chokes. ruppparts.com sells the older style carbs for the Tecumseh.

Last edited:
check craigslist or ebay. Or even flea markets. Search for old egders, snow blowers, roto tillers etc etc etc. You find you self a good ol flat head head tecumseh or briggs for cheap. when you get it, degreese it, maby put some new rings in, and possibly a valve job, carb rebuild, and youll have your self a real nice motor :thumbsup:

2.5-3HP engines are real easy to find cheap, they are on all kinds of garden equipment but you have to make sure the shaft is right. Everone wants 3.5 and bigger

There was a guy on Ebay that had tons of 3.5 B &S I/C (steel lined) that were new old stock at a good price. That would be my pick if I want a small one.:thumbsup:

briggs does still make it,but the tank is not at the bottom of the carb anymore.the tank is separate. what about one of those harbor freight clones?130.00 they can't be beat.

I went to two big mower shops yesterday and both shops said the Tecumseh is about to quite the small engine manufacturing. And the smallest Briggs is a 3.5 HP with a bowl carb and is not a flat head . Emission regulations I would guess. I have been checking the ebay listings and of course craigslist.
Thanks for the help Steve

07D675

I bought a manco streaker with a 3.5 Briggs on it and it looks like the old blocks with an upgraded carb/plastic tank hanging off of it. It's unpainted also, naked aluminum... I've seen the same engine at Tractor Supply for around $230.00...:eek:hmy: I got the whole minibike for $100.00 and rode around with my son and his friend and the thing has tons of power. I flew past them both!!!

I went to two big mower shops yesterday and both shops said the Tecumseh is about to quite the small engine manufacturing.
Yeah, Tecumseh's in trouble...lost many of their vendor contracts to Briggs & Stratton recently, most notably Sears/Craftsman...and their over-the-counter sales are being killed by the Chinese Honda knock-offs...kiss 'em goodbye soon...they'll become another part of the vintage minibike industry that's gone forever.

Yeah, Tecumseh's in trouble...lost many of their vendor contracts to Briggs & Stratton recently, most notably Sears/Craftsman...and their over-the-counter sales are being killed by the Chinese Honda knock-offs...kiss 'em goodbye soon...they'll become another part of the vintage minibike industry that's gone forever.
:thumbdown::crying:

Too bad about Tecumseh. They built some tough little engines. The early 70s models were probably some of the best small engines ever built. The Chinese knock offs are taking over. I had one on a ARCO, but after thinking about it, I pulled it off and went back to a 3.5 Tecumseh. I'll save the clone for a backup for my generator or pressure washer.

Last edited:
Maybe someone will buy the company and try to save it. Maybe there's enough people on OldMiniBikes.com and some of the other forums like minidoodle.com to scrape up enough green!!!!! :thumbsup:
Gearheads unite

<<<theres a briggs 2.5 Easy start on my Fox, those are the easiest darn engines to work with because they have a fan governor, ONLY 1 carb adjustment, and no damn bowls to deal with

I live for Briggs Flathead Engines!!

Flatheads

Been noticing there are no new flatheads myself lately. Went on the Tecumseh site and nothing in there product discription. Spoke with one of my suppliers today "Flatheads are a thing of the past due to the new EPA regs" both Tecumseh and Briggs.
There goes the cost on anything sitting on the shelf.