Briggs running rich

This is my first post and I will try to get it right! I have an 8hp Briggs with a two piece Flo-jet carb. It will only run with the fuel mixture jet in all the way and choking from time to time. It has new gaskets, needle jets, and e-tube. It was cleaned and ports cleared with compressed air. The mating halves were warped from overtightened but I straighten in a press and now seals nicely. Any ideas?

I will be following this one just incase I have problems with this one.The carb has been soaking in naptha gas for a week now and everything now moves so we shall see.Its a 1977 190400.

1026021555 by kzhorse, on Flickr

Good luck with yours,Scott

is that starter belt powered? :blink:
yes, that's a gene start.. electric motor, works as a starter and generator...

The carb I would screw both screws in tight until it won't pull any fuel at all, then start over.. If it refuses to straiten out, it might still be leaking in between the carb halves, there's that one stupid little out of round tube that presses in between the halves.. if the gasket isn't sealing around that it can leak and flood into the throat of the carb... If you have a beat up jet sometimes they won't seal off right..

If the motor has points and condenser, try a new condenser.. It may just have such poor and miss firing spark, it won't actually burn the fuel you're feeding it..

I took the carburetor back apart and with just the bowl half I screwed in the main jet to make sure it seated all the way. The seat looked ok and the main jet screwed in with little effort and feels like it is seated properly. I checked the depth and compared it after the two halves were back together. I checked on the new gasket after it had been installed and both the other and inner appear to have a nice seal pattern. I did not use gasket sealant of any type. When it runs, it runs smooth. Idle has no issues. The tank feed is clear, spark looks a little weak. Its amazing how such a simple little engine can beat me!

jim210

There was a tech tip about running a gasket under the main jet. I used to make my own gasket by using a chainsaw diaphragm for the material since the hole is the same size. Are you sure your adjustment needle is actually adjusting and not worn out causing it to just spin. Flo-jet carbs are one of the carbs that require a full rebuild kit to get it right.

One mistake I have made is to put the main jet fitting in backwards. One end is threaded on the inside and the other isn't. If it is backwards, the jet bottoms out on the fitting threads before it contacts the emulsion tube seat. Try switching ends on the fitting.