Briggs&Stratton vs Tecumseh engines,who's best?

Search engine here came up with nada on this subject.
I see both sides of the fence here by members comments.
What is your real opinion on which is better? Please, none of the high school answers that a so-and-so is crap or a POS. Give your real reason as to why you think your brand better? With engine restorations going up and up in price for parts, it would be nice not waste my time on an engine that is really not worth the effort. I'm not asking about a "place what was on the bike originally" question,just which brand out shines the other by longevity,torque,and hours of operation before major repair is needed.
Thank you for your replies.

It's a Ford / Chevy thing and I'm not sure you'll get any hard fact's one way or another.

Having built and used maybe as many as hundreds of each, I prefer the Tecumseh's.

I can also say that apples to apples a HS50 is a stronger engine as far propelling a minibike then a Briggs 5 horse. Just my opinion.

ETA: once you get into the H50 and up, big blocks, I think 9 out of 10 would lean towards Tecumseh as-well.

buckeye

I like both. I have had, so far, no issues with either. I had heard for years Tecs are a biatch to keep the carb right. Wheather it is dumb luck or thanks to this site, I have had no problem getting mine right. All three start as they should and run as well as I could ask.
So, in conclusion, I am very pleased with both.

pomfish

The O/P question is kinda loaded.
Hours of operation before repairs will depend on Service of said brand. Application will dictate which brand you can use.

I guess my opinion after 40 years of dealing with both is this;
There are a lot more performance/aftermarket parts for the Briggs engines available and the go kart programs they have set up make them pretty much bulletproof.

That said, there are alot of applications where only a Tecumseh will work as the frame was designed with the Tec as the only option.
Also the Tec adjustable carb, when working right, is superior to a Briggs carb.

Briggs corp is still very much alive, Tecumseh, Ehhh.
Anyway, either one can be made to perform, just depends on what you have available to do so.

Hope this helps,
Keith

Stock pound for pound CC for CC Tecumseh will run much stronger.. And FAR EASIER to build more power from with the simple governor bypass and the several adjustments you have... You can even adjust your ignition timing on a Tecumseh...

Briggs engines are easy to build power from but have just completely piss poor carburetor systems so without ADDING at least a Tec carb, a (slightly modded) Briggs 5 horse will never hold up against a Tec H50 with the same mods... The HS50 5 horse Tec if ya have an iron flywheel is about the same as a briggs toque wise, but if ya have the aluminum flywheel, it lacks the lower end torque, so the Briggs might have a slight advantage from like zero to ten...

But, once it gets moving along and the clutch is hooked up, it's just gonna walk away from the Briggs...

BRIGGS engines however are FAR MORE forgiving with abuse... You CAN build the shit out of them, THEN literally abuse them to death... Beat the piston loose, and it will run again...

As to where the Tecumsehs are generally more sensitive.. Overheat the fck out of an HS50 with no oil, and it will have major problems...

All ya gotta do is go TOO FAST with a Tec H50 big block, and it will blow the connecting rod through the engine block.....

PLUS being theres soooo many things you can play with on a Tec, some of them old broken down and worked on by someone who doesn't have the knowledge, can easily be beyond someones capabilities of straitening out...

Just depends... Briggs is usually simpler... But has far simpler performance..It's made to run a rototiller.... It starts and rototills pretty rototillery usually....

But a Tecumseh would much rather go racing...:scooter:

I had a Tec 2.5 HP in the 60's on my Bird Wren mini. I put over 12,000 miles on the engine before I blew it up running model airplane fuel in it. Hay I was 13 ,give me a break )
I don't really remember having any real problems with it. I was running the AMOCO Graphite Oil in the engine ( remember that you older guys?) and it showed no wear until I caused it to have " Rapid Dissembley Of All Component Parts"
Thank you for all your inputs.

Hmm......

If I had to chose between a Lauson and a Clinton.....

Well the Lauson is a realy well built engine, but the Clinton is so much more cost effective and afordable for most jobs.

Lauson durable.
Clinton easy to fix....

Conclusion:
Both of these companies are gone.

Tec is bankrupt.
How much of Briggs is left in the USA?
Example Briggs diesel engines are made in Japan by a div of Toyota

both are good, and both have issues.

i put a briggs carb on a tecumseh H60 once, it ran PERFECT! even idled down so low that you couldnt tell if it was running or not. i think that was the best of both worlds.

a Honda GX200 coil works great on a 5hp briggs too

i hate tecumseh carbs :mad2:

george3

Don't forget the H40 Big Block....a very desirabale engine and not easy to find.....:thumbsup:
I got an H40 good runner. Well its on a snow blower that I bought for the engine. I never ran one on a mini bike. Sure dont need the snow blower, dont snow in LA, OC. Ca. LOL

I got an H40 good runner. Well its on a snow blower that I bought for the engine. I never ran one on a mini bike. Sure dont need the snow blower, dont snow in LA, OC. Ca. LOL
If your luck is anything like mine........ After you pull it apart you guy's will get 2' of snow:laugh:

They had just started busing back then, my school was moved from 1.5 miles away to eight miles away if I drove through the "woods". A large ,heavily forested area. There had been trails made through the woods since the 17 hundreds. I drove the mini bike to Elementary School, Jr High School and the Freshman year of High School. I didn't blow he engine up until I had bought a motor cycle. I sold the mini's frame for 35 bucks. I wish I had kept it.

65ShelbyClone

How much of Briggs is left in the USA?
Example Briggs diesel engines are made in Japan by a div of Toyota
Then they're probably better than if Briggs made them in-house. :laugh:

I think Tecumseh had some nice features that Briggs & Stratton should have used, but I never thought they were manufactured as well as Briggs.

Pretty much like TRK says. Briggs will run forever on bad/no oil and crap gas. Will take any abuse you can throw at it. Pretty much if its running itll stay running. You can keep it at idle its entire life or at full throttle its entire life and it wont know the difference.
Tecumseh is a bit more finicky and takes a bit more maintenence and care to keep it going happy. but learn its few tricks to keep it going and itll be happy and it will make you happy. Iv been lead to believe tecs are weaker internally but i havnt witnessed it. Both briggs and tec carbs can be troublesome I think the tecs are better for performance but briggs hold up better. Briggs are cheaper and more plentiful thats gotta count for something. Briggs is best :thumbsup: