Buffalo build begins

I haven't made allot of progress with the Buffalo over the last couple weeks. I've been super busy at work and have had a wicked case of the flu to boot. Feeling better now though and it's supposed to be a nice weekend so I'm hoping to get some work done on the bike.
My new seat arrived today. Kenny made it for me and did a hell of a nice job. The white piping makes it stand out nicely and looks great with my black and white color scheme.
I'm going to try to get the tank mounted over the weekend and sort out the band brake as well. I may even get the engine and torque converter installed if my wife hasn't got to many honeydews lined up for me.

Last edited:
I haven't had much time to work on the buffalo lately. Slammed at work, and bad weather has slowed me down. I ordered a new set of hub bearings a couple weeks ago as well and couldn't do much till they arrived. It is supposed to be a nice weekend though so I plan to get back after it in the morning. I've installed the new bearings and got the band brake put on, although I'm not sure that it can be considered a brake. I freewheeled it down a small hill in my back yard this afternoon and the brake barely even slowed it down. I'm going to try to find someone to turn the drum for me and hope that they'll work better.

I managed to get a bit more done on the bike this weekend. I got the rust cleaned off the rear foot pegs, painted them and put new covers on the front and rear pegs. I fab'd up a gas tank mount out of some 1 1/2 inch flat stock and got the tank strapped on. I had to use giant tie wraps because I couldn't find any worm drive clamps (Hose clamps) that were big enough locally. I did find some online though and should be here this week. I also drilled the axles so I can secure the castle nuts with cotter pins. Planning on mounting the engine one afternoon this week if I can get off work at a decent hour.

Last edited:

I guess I should have tried test fitting my engine when I first got it. I just assumed that a 10HP Tec would be around the same physical dimensions as the 8 HP Tec engine that would have come on the bike originally. The bolt holes line up fine but the shaft side of the engine sticks out around 3 inches to far to ever line up with the sprocket. I'm pretty sure I can weld in a wider plate and relocate the mounting slots, but I doubt I'll be able to get it going this weekend like I had hoped. :mad2:

Ratbike

I guess I should have tried test fitting my engine when I first got it. I just assumed that a 10HP Tec would be around the same physical dimensions as the 8 HP Tec engine that would have come on the bike originally. The bolt holes line up fine but the shaft side of the engine sticks out around 3 inches to far to ever line up with the sprocket. I'm pretty sure I can weld in a wider plate and relocate the mounting slots, but I doubt I'll be able to get it going this weekend like I had hoped. :mad2:
Jackshaft??? That might be an option...:shrug: Would help turn those big tires. I hate when that happens. I feel your pain brotha!!:sad:

Jackshaft??? That might be an option...:shrug: Would help turn those big tires. I hate when that happens. I feel your pain brotha!!:sad:
I've got a brand new Comet Torque converter which helps out some. I don't have to move the engine as far as I would if I where using a Centrifugal clutch but I still have to bring it inboard about 2 inches. I'm working on installing the torque so that I can get an accurate measurement but I've run into another snag. This Damn Tec 10 shaft is just a hair to thick. It is a 3/4 shaft but I think they left a couple 1000th's to much metal on it at the factory. Have any of you guys had the same issue with new Tecumseh engines? I'm trying to bring it down a bit using some emery cloth but so far It's still to thick to get the spacer and drive pulley installed. I think I'll give up for tonight and tackle it again in the morning. :surrender: