Calling all the veteran mini bike drag racers

Ok, so I am in gr.12 this year, next fall I start my training to become a machinist. I've always wanted to build a drag bike, but I have put it off because I wanted to have a few nice riders first, and becasue so far my job is cutting grass so I don't have a great paycheck coming in, but this winter I am going to be starting work at a shop so the money will be better. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I thought I would see what all the verteran racers and builders are doing to make sure I get pointed in the right direction. :shrug:

Right now I am thinking that I will start off with a GX200 block until I get more experience to go to a big block Honda. :shrug:

As for the bike, I am leaning towards a factory frame, maybe a DB30 or Azusa that is stretched and reinforced. :shrug:

Let me know what you think, please help me out. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Clayton

vwfan79

Well how for do you wanna take it, you could do
14cc head
port and polish
.050 milled off the head
flat top piston
larger valves
1.3 ratio rockers
26# springs
cromo pushrods
black mamba cam/ custom grind
billet flywheel
billet rod
8* timing key
24 mm carb
fuel pump

That should get you moving pretty good

jim210

I don't know how much you know already but i would suggest reading some basic internal combustion engine books. Once you know how everything works then start reading some performance engine theory books. Research and calculating formulas is the best part of building an engine. I have combos written down for engines that i don't even own haha.

waltsuz

Just for thought, A stock GX 390 or clone with a governor on a TC will suprise you. Mine did me. No substitute for cubic inches..Modify as you can afford. New GX 420 clone can be had for 275.00 with a little looking around and you'll start off with 16hp. Based on limited experience but none the less I do have one running.

Stock 390 with a 105 main jet, a pipe and a air cleaner. Pulls like a bear

Just for thought, A stock GX 390 or clone with a governor on a TC will suprise you. Mine did me. No substitute for cubic inches..Modify as you can afford. New GX 420 clone can be had for 275.00 with a little looking around and you'll start off with 16hp. Based on limited experience but none the less I do have one running.

Stock 390 with a 105 main jet, a pipe and a air cleaner. Pulls like a bear
Ok ,well my boss has a GX390 that he said he would sell me so maybe I'll talk to him. Thanks Walt.

Ok ,well my boss has a GX390 that he said he would sell me so maybe I'll talk to him. Thanks Walt.
There's deals out there. I bought a genuine Honda GX 390 for $100.00..It runs great. I"ll use it when I build up an engine for mine other than the Blue Clone..

There's deals out there. I bought a genuine Honda GX 390 for $100.00..It runs great. I"ll use it when I build up an engine for mine other than the Blue Clone..
Same price I got my GX390 and it still had the broken pressure washer pump attached.

I plan on a bike similar to the red one above, but based on the old db30 frame, stretched and widened, but with a taller and wider rear tire and a TAV 40 on a jackshaft. Currently looking at a 18" tall slick, 10" wide.

I may not get more traction than the little tire in the pic above, but mine will have more attitude.

jim210

A taller tire with the same final gear ratio will get more traction because it will be turning slower. A 6" wide 18" tire would probably have more traction than a gokart slick.

Last edited:
I got a picture file saved of builds I have looked over for ideas later on. I found this. I believe this was built in Michigan...My memory is questionable, Walt