Cam Shaft PTO

I cut down the cam shaft because it stuck out of the side case. This is temporary as I will be changing out the side case soon. The new side case will not have the hole for the cam shaft to protrude through. So can I cut down the cam shaft to fit or do I need to buy a different one? Thanks, Nate

IMG_2033.JPG

Nate, Here are my thoughts on your question. I would think that there should not be a problem with shortening the cam shaft and replacing the side cover with one that doesn't have the hole for the pto. However, the length of your camshaft after it is shortened will have to be within a thousandth or two of the length of a standard camshaft. Secondly, the cutoff end will have to be done on a lathe and the end chamfered and polished. Otherwise you are going to get excessive end play (horizontal movement) of the camshaft and if it has a rough end (because it was cut with a hacksaw) it is going to chew the bushing in the side cover and you are going to have problems. That's my two cents worth. Ogy

Ogy is correct mostly. However camshaft end play is adjusted with gasket thickness. The block and sidecover have machined bosses as does both ends of the cam. If it is not cut short enough it will bind (rub) in the new sidecover. If it is a little shorter than a stock cam it will be okay. It does need to be smooth with no burrs or it will tear up the sidecover. You could always change the cam I have some new stock grind cams I would send for shipping cost.

I'm not sure the end of the cam is what controls the play, but rather the shoulder on the gear. At least the older Briggs motors are that way. So the length isn't quite as critical, but more bearing surface is better, so I'd do some trial and error fitting.

Last edited:
I also think it rides on the shoulder but thats just a guess. should be easy to tell when you have the parts infront of you. It must otherwize theres nothing to keep the protruding cams in place

Last edited: