Can HS50 1" crankshaft be replaced w/ 3/4"?

I recently got a clean, low hours HS50 67061A (1975 I believe). Can the original 1" crankshaft be replaced with a 3/4" crank? I've seen a thread that discussed machining the 1" crankshaft down, but if replacement is possible with no resulting engine damage, that would be my preference. I may look in to a 1", 12 tooth clutch for #35 chain if this would work too. Not many choices there. Any advice would be appreciated to this newcomer. Thank you!

markus

33677 or 33677a would be the 3/4" plug and play crankshaft for that engine number, they are even still available, but not real cheap new.

So far I have found the following: TEC crankshaft part number 34740 is a 3/4" dia. crankshaft spec'd for the HS50 engine.
My concerns are whether the age of the my motor ('75) is compatible, or if later HS50 engines used an updated version crank.
Also, should the cam be replaced if changing from 1" to 3/4" crank? And yes, I will find an ace Tecumseh mechanic to do the work. :thumbsup:
Thanks, - Joe

markus

So far I have found the following: TEC crankshaft part number 34740 is a 3/4" dia. crankshaft spec'd for the HS50 engine.
My concerns are whether the age of the my motor ('75) is compatible, or if later HS50 engines used an updated version crank.
Also, should the cam be replaced if changing from 1" to 3/4" crank? And yes, I will find an ace Tecumseh mechanic to do the work. :thumbsup:
Thanks, - Joe
you want to stay away from that crankshaft (34740) They revised at the end of 1980 to a larger flywheel taper at that point which is what that is. You technically can use it, but you would also need matching flywheel, cup, belleville washer, nut..... If you happened across a "parts engine" that was 1980-1984 that would be fine because you have all the parts to swap then, you need to stay in the 1972-1979 range on yours. HS50 snowblower engines are usually around pretty reasonable, They usually show lighter wear internally due to the conditions they run in.

The cam has to come out to access the crank, but does not need to be replaced unless worn/damaged

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

I appreciate the detailed explanation about the crankshaft revisions marcus. Based on the serial number of my HS50: 5099B, shown in the second photo, my understanding is this engine was built on 4/10/1975. I will look for a TEC 34740 crankshaft. And Sixpac440... I will keep the lathe option open. Thanks again! - Joe

Attachments

Biffmini

While your on the subject, I have a new short block with a 1" crank. i was thinking about changing out for a 3/4" or turning...
If I went with smaller crank would I need smaller bearing & seal for the cover? I'm thinking so. I'm in the process of reading all the HS50 mod. threads as I am a green horn with engines. I have three HS50 with points. The short block would be the one to build I think, with a hot coil...
It has the studs for it

Last edited:
I had a HS 40 turned down to 3/4 and used the original 1 inch seal. He left a small area around the seal 1 inch and the rest 3/4, also he cut a slight bevel to make sure it was not a hard 90 degree when he turned it down. I can get them done fairly reasonable if you can't find someone.

markus

I appreciate the detailed explanation about the crankshaft revisions marcus. Based on the serial number of my HS50: 5099B, shown in the second photo, my understanding is this engine was built on 4/10/1975. I will look for a TEC 34740 crankshaft. And Sixpac440... I will keep the lathe option open. Thanks again! - Joe
Yes you are correct, it is a 1975 engine. But I think you are reading the info I posted up incorrectly.... DO NOT GET a 34740 crankshaft. Your flywheel parts WILL NOT fit that crankshaft. The 33677/33677a numbers I supplied earlier in the thread are the standard length 3/4" output bushing crank that your engine would use.

These are examples of the difference between the 1972-1980 (left) and 1980-1985 (right) tapers.

If I went with smaller crank would I need smaller bearing & seal for the cover? I'm thinking so. I'm in the process of reading all the HS50 mod
Biff, you would only need to change the cover IF you had them machine the crank down to Ball bearing sidecover specs. Bushing supported cranks were rougly 1" bushing, no matter the output size/style, Ball bearing cranks were rougly 3/4" at the bearing so the output end on them can only ever be 3/4" or smaller diameter. The 3/4 output bushing engines are just like owend said he had his cut down from the factory. Makes sense I hope???

Not the best shots, but all I have posted up in the photo section for reference These are bushing cranks from HS series engines:

Here is how the ball bearing supported shafts are cut:

Last edited:

Biffmini

Thanks again Markus & Thanks Owend your info is golden!

Joe I wasn't trying to bust into your thread, just thought the more info the better....

Last edited:
marcus, thank you for pointing out my mistake on the crankshaft part #'s. I DID follow your point; 33677 or 33677a is the correct crankshaft for my particular HS50 circa 1975. My brain and fingers did not sync when I typed my response when I referred to the (incorrect) 34740 p/n.