Canadian walleye fishing

WrenchDad

Hey guys; I'm doing a 7 day fly in trip to PK Resorts out of Hornespayne Ontario in August. It's a great trip with a great group of guys, Only problem is from here (Pa. near Pittsburgh) it is a 18 hour ride. we drive to the U.P. in Michigan and spend the night at hunting canp then drive to Hornespanye the next day. Also with the cost of the trip ,one day at the Hotel in Hornespayne plus fuel it's about $1300.00 bucks. Everything is included in that,lodge,boats ,gas, bedding. (We take our own food and eat a lot of fresh Walleye). My question is this, does anyone know of a good secluded Canadian lake that offers a lodge and boats a little closer to home at a little better price. I can get to Detroit in about 4or 5 hours and cross there or cross from New york. I would like to put together a trip with some local friends but the PK Resort trip is just to much to put together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone would like to check out PK Resorts you can go to there web site

PK Resort - Home all info is there. It really is a great trip, great fishing ,great lodges, good boats, excellent owners (them and their family has been doing this for a long time). There is actually three lodge sites on two lakes.

Thanks

buckeye

Don't know how to help ya, but I sure miss Walleye down here.
Yea, we get all the fresh Gulf Of Mex seafood we want,that's if ya want to eat BP ruined fish.Nothing like fresh Walleye chunks!!!

45t

Locke Bay right around Kenora Canada. Great Walleye, pike, brownie (small mouth) fishing. I use to go there with my family. There are several places to stay from luxury/expensive to pull your camper in.

Some of the best fishing I've ever done. 6 boats with 2-3 men each limited out on walleye in 2 hours fishing with 3/4 oz jig head with a minnow jigging in 60ft of water. We got to the point of throwing the smaller ones back if we caught bigger ones.. Limited out on bownies fishing on Black Sturgeon lake with a double tail lime green metalic mister twister set up. I miss fishing like that.

We have Walleye in Oklahoma lakes, introduced in the 50s we have a breding population now. It was unsure whether they would survive but they have. I pull a dozen or more a year from lakes very close to me. My biggest was a gravid female 26" 9.8lbs, they must be 18" and we are allowed 3 per day. I'm a pretty good Walleye fisherman but they act different here than up north. I sight fish in the shallows at night, see one cutting through the water like a shark and can cast onto his head. Anywhere near and they strike, I use 6lb test line with small plastic white curly tail grubs mostly. Me and the kids love to eat Walleye, IMO the best freshwater fish to eat.

Good luck and good fishing, enjoy your trip!:thumbsup:

Haven't been there myself, but I know of allot of people that go to Rice Lake in Canada. Great pan fish, wally's, and I am sure pike. I am not sure where it is exactly, but I know they cross in Port Huron.

Be advised, you will need a passport to get back now :angry: or an "enhanced" drivers license if your state offers them.
If your taking kids (under 16) they will need a birth certificate.

WrenchDad

Don't know how to help ya, but I sure miss Walleye down here.
Yea, we get all the fresh Gulf Of Mex seafood we want,that's if ya want to eat BP ruined fish.Nothing like fresh Walleye chunks!!!
We take them right out of the lake and pan fry them with a light cornmeal breading, or we cut them into 1" chunks and boil them in zataran's crab boil until they float (poor man's lobster) Your right, "nothing like it"