cannot remove doodlebug clutch

I am trying to install the jackshift kit. I did get the bolt off in this is a newer style Doodlebug. I also took the snap ring of the clutch and remove the cover. Is there anything else that could be holding this clutch on? I don't see anything else no bulbs are hidden nuts or screws. I blasted it with penetrating oil, I tried gently pulling, I tried wrapping a small crowbar with a rag and I have also tried tapping it with a rubber hammer. Oh and I tried warming it with a heat gun. Now that I'm looking into it on the foum, I keep seeing people who have ruined their clutch so now I'm worried I will break something. Are there any other techniques, or hidden attachment on this clutch for the newer Doodlebug that I should know about?

Im kinda mad there was no heads up of issues like this with the jackshift kit.. I just needed a new chain which was my reason for upgrading to this kit in the process. Had I known clutch damage was a high possibility I would have just stuck with a chain.

Last edited:
those shoes r spring loaded take em off and put the bolt back in a couple of good threads maybe more,No washer/bolt only and use a 2 jaw puller or a 3 jaw puller on it.
at least you can grab those edges back there with the puller jaws.
work it Slow and stop and reset if it tries to go offside/the puller<
we had this happen awhile back.

You are the minority. Somebody probably boogered up the shaft before you. Somebody posted up pix of their home made tool to remove stuck clutches. It was a piece of rectangle tube with a slot cut in to slide around the engine shaft then he welded a nut inside. Not easy to visualize but a simple tool when you can picture it

I use a long screwdriver placed between the crankcase and clutch to apply outward pressure. Then I screw in the retaining bolt with the washer almost all the way. The washer is to keep the clutch from flying off when it comes loose. Then I lightly tap the head of the retaining bolt with a hammer while pulling on the screwdriver. Take it slow and easy, so you don't break/ bend something. It should pop right off.

After you get it off, file any burrs on the crankshaft and clutch bore so the clutch slides on/ off easy. I usually apply a little grease on the crankshaft before I slide on the clutch for anti-seize.

Jackshaft didn't cause you problem IMO. Good luck getting it off.

I think you have old style DB30. :shrug:

If that's an OEM 97cc clutch, there is no set screw. If it's an after market clutch for 5/8" crank, I see your problem. If so, someone crammed a 5/8" ID clutch onto a 16mm OD crank. The difference is approx .005", it will be very hard to get off, may take a grinder. :shrug:

I use a long screwdriver placed between the crankcase and clutch to apply outward pressure. Then I screw in the retaining bolt with the washer almost all the way. The washer is to keep the clutch from flying off when it comes loose. Then I lightly tap the head of the retaining bolt with a hammer while pulling on the screwdriver. Take it slow and easy, so you don't break/ bend something. It should pop right off.

After you get it off, file any burrs on the crankshaft and clutch bore so the clutch slides on/ off easy. I usually apply a little grease on the crankshaft before I slide on the clutch for anti-seize.

Jackshaft didn't cause you problem IMO. Good luck getting it off.

I think you have old style DB30. :shrug:
I realize jackshift didnt cause the problem... I havent installed it yet. I wish they were more open about tools needed, risks involved, and posted instructions openly so I could have had it ready to throw on before ordering.
Im stuck on step 2! Also 100% sure its an older doodlebug... I said wrong above and it wont let me edit it.

Last edited:
If you have to grind it off, might help to remove the shoes 1st. There is a retaining ring that holds the shoe retainer plate onto the hub. Remove the retaining ring and the shoes/ spring will come off.

Problem is, if you don't already have a good set of retaining ring pliers they are fairly expensive. Then after the clutch comes off damaged or OK, you will need a real DB30 clutch, more $'s.

I haven't had this issue with 97cc, but with Briggs flatheads I have removed several rusted on pulleys that took a lot of effort/ time to get off. I feel your pain.

Went to harbor freight after work to get a gear puller $16. It took an amazing amount of force before it left go and came off. The clutch looks pretty bent, Im assuming it is broken. I ordered another one.. more $$$ :(

No rust there, just really stuck on. It would have been impossible by hand to pull that off. Hopefully this is the last part Ill be needing for a while, and I really hope I didn't damage the engine at all with all my yanking.

I do have decent snap ring pliers to the person above.. they were probably $25 - but the tip snapped on the second ring of that clutch... Im just going to call this the devil clutch.

I'm having the same issue with my flywheel on my Predator. I think I'll go pick up one of those pullers from HF tonight after work. Damn thing feels like it's welded on!

I'm having the same issue with my flywheel on my Predator. I think I'll go pick up one of those pullers from HF tonight after work. Damn thing feels like it's welded on!
Those predator flywheel can suck bad. I broke one of the h bar bearing separator tools from harbor freight. One arm snapped off. What's funny is i've pulled 2 97cc wheels just by unbolting it and giving it a couple taps with a small dead blow hammer