Caper Cycle Brake Shoes

Hey all,

I've got a question for ye, I'm looking to do my brakes over (5" variety). For those of you who've been through all this, is there a direct replacement, a mod to fit solution or should I be thinking on bonding new material to the old frames? Either way is fine just don't want to be barkin up the wrong tree... I did a painstaking resurface on the drum yesterday and whatever material is on the present shoes is glossier than Charlene Tilton's lips in the second season o Dallas.

Let me know and thanks!
G

How thick are the liners? Can you just scuff the lip gloss off? I do see you are looking at the relining thread right now. Here is a short cut to the liner material.
https://www.mcmaster.com/brake-lining/
They’re down to maybe 1/16” now with some tough grooves. Id actually just scuff them if the bakes were ever all that good. My father never replaced them and I get the feeling the material was corrupt when we got it.

thanks for the link! I’m gonna try and get the material off today and I’ll order that if all goes well.

You can buy the re-lineing material from McMaster car. Simple to do.
I did it on the original bands in my tractor and they’ve held up well. On the tractor they were riveted on though, just drill the rivets out and the liners fell off the band. Thing I’m worried about here is that they’re bonded.
Oh well, I’ll play with them a bit later and see how it goes.

thanks!