Carb is on an angle

jeep4me

I'm going to start working on the Speedway mini I just picked up and the engine sits on a slant, tilted forward. I'm planning on using a 4hp Honda that has a bowl carb. Is the float going to work properly if it is not sitting level? Should I shim the front of the motor so that it's level?

I want it to work right and not look cobbled together.

Ideally the carb should be level. BUT we do ride up and down hills and carbs still function. The best bet would be to use a Tecumseh with the angled intake. you could probably use a piece of flat bar under the front of the engine to level it up some if your intent on using the riceburner :thefinger: Sorry, couldn't resist. You could also use some 1" square and saw it or have it milled to a wedge shape for each side.

My vote would be a Tecumseh but the slanted intakes fetch $40+. I might sell one and buy a whole engine with the $$$! :thumbsup:

Oldsalt

Interestingly the Briggs straight carb does not care what angle it is mounted. You'll never climb a hill at an angle that it will not supply fuel at a reasonable air/fuel ratio....it does not have a float and needle. Most other carbs on most other small engines have the main jet centralized in the float bowl and surrounded by a circular float. It works pretty well even when tipped at a fair angle.

delray

jeep4me,other easy fix if you go with a 4hp tecumseh is to use a diaphram carb. early 70's mtd/columbia minibikes use this set up. diaphram carb's can work at any angle:thumbsup:

I got a frame like that, angled, the kid i got it from had a 5 hp briggs on it, and for awhile it ran good, i think he had some sort of oiling problem, cause the motor blew, didn't get that, i was thinking of leveling the motor mount and starting over, that will be one of my summer projects i think.
dave