CAT 250X

Sorry here is a better picture.

There is no front spring. The top where the forks would be doesn't look hacked or cut.
Thats what is throwing me off.
Definitely odd because they certainly look like Cat forks but I can’t find any Cat pictures with forks like that. I’ll keep looking and in the meantime maybe someone more knowledgeable about them will chime in. A resident Cat expert will figure it out.

FunWithStuff

The Cat 250X did not have top handlebars. The handlebars and forks were all one front end unit together and could not be seperated (aside from welding or cutting them off).

Judging by the color of your bike, it looks like you might have a 1970-1975 orange 250X (1969 the 250X was green, after that all 250X's were orange). Can you share pictures of your whole bike so we can make sure because the frame can tell a lot about whether it is a 250X or not.

If you do have a 250X then you more than likely have the incorrect front end on it. It's a Cat front end but is probably off of a 300X or 400X which had removable handlebars.

Here's a brochure picture of the 250X (the R2501)
9a416620.jpg

These are Rupp handlebars and they come in different heights maybe you could adapt them to your bike. I’m no expert but my ‘68 Rupp TT500 Has a similar top plate. Guys on here do all kinds of cool stuff with custom setups and I’m sure they’ll have some ideas for you. Keep us posted on your progress if you would. Good luck with your build.

FunWithStuff

Here are some more pictures of the frame. Looks like it was painted red over the green.
Yeah so like others have said you definitely have a 250X but it is actually a 1969 not a 70-75 like I originally thought. You can see spots of green paint on the chain guard and frame.

I'm curious what the front end is from because it looks like it was originally green too. I'm guessing more than likely it probably came off the R3001 (from my brochure photo above) because that's the only other Cat that has a similar color.

Here's a brochure ad of the 1969 Cat 250X.
5fa900a0.jpg

FunWithStuff

Which can be confirmed by looking at the left front side of the engine mounting plate correct or did that start in 1970 like on my 400ts ?
1969 Cat bikes do have serial numbers on the engine mounting plate I'm pretty sure. It should start with a "9" to indicate it is from 1969. For any 1970-1975 bikes the serial number will start with a "0" to "5" depending on the year.

Mine starts with 70 and it’s a 1970. You could be right about cutting the bars off but judging buy the mounting holes and paint wear patterns I figured the bars were just gone. I’m not even sure that bike is a 250x because of how long the fork bolt tube is but the other ones (R2501)like in the picture you sent seem to be the same as the 300x, 400x. I’d call that bike a Cat conglomerate. 8D9DAADF-1F60-4615-9E3E-4CA464B07F3E.jpeg

1969 Cat bikes do have serial numbers on the engine mounting plate I'm pretty sure. It should start with a "9" to indicate it is from 1969. For any 1970-1975 bikes the serial number will start with a "0" to "5" depending on the year.
I replied to the thread instead of to what you wrote.

FunWithStuff

Mine starts with 70 and it’s a 1970. You could be right about cutting the bars off but judging buy the mounting holes and paint wear patterns I figured the bars were just gone. I’m not even sure that bike is a 250x because of how long the fork bolt tube is but the other ones (R2501)like in the picture you sent seem to be the same as the 300x, 400x. I’d call that bike a Cat conglomerate. View attachment 295433
Whoops you're right it starts with the last two digits of the year I forgot about that.

I definitely think he has a 250X frame mainly because he has the green 250X chain guard. I don't think the front end has had bars cut off because that is the exact same fork setup (with bolt mounting holes for the handlebars) that is on the 300 and 400 Cats. Someone must have swapped them at some time.

Whoops you're right it starts with the last two digits of the year I forgot about that.

I definitely think he has a 250X frame mainly because he has the green 250X chain guard. I don't think the front end has had bars cut off because that is the exact same fork setup (with bolt mounting holes for the handlebars) that is on the 300 and 400 Cats. Someone must have swapped them at some time.
That’s what’s throwing me off. The forks I have don’t have the spring on the front like the 300 and 400 but have the mounting holes for the handlebars.

Attachments