CAT 250X

FunWithStuff

Can you tell me what the original color is on the 250x (R2501)?
Yes, it's faded redish orange. I thought it was supposed to be flame red from the factory. I remember when these were new, it was more red than competition orange. Look at cattailhaas bike, that's what I'm looking for. Almost sure all the '69s were green. Mine is a '70. Maybe catttailhaas will chime in. Thanks.
That's nice. Has some good paint left on it. I need a Tecumseh to put in mine. I went up to the church today looking for the old edger in the mower shed, looks like they got rid of it. That's gonna be nice when you're done.
I'm seeing these pamphlets all the models have black Tecumseh engines in them. All the pics on the internet so far have black engines. I always thought this bike I have came with a white Tecumseh in it when my buddy had it new. :confused:
So there are actually at least 4 models of the 250X. There's the very first model that came out in 1969 that was painted light green. And then they painted it redish orange from 1970-1975. Your's is more than likely the redish orange if you can share photos of the bike that would help a lot in knowing for sure.

1969:
5fa900a0.jpg
1970-1975 (R2501 is the 250X):
333a9e831b8b8e9cf62bdeb8f553cdbc--minibike-cats.jpg

The other two models are a whole lot rarer and much more obscure. They actually marketed a 250X model for girls. It was called the "250KE". I've never seen a complete one at all only maybe one or two incomplete ones and I'm sure VERY few of these models were ever sold, much less survived to this day.

250KE (Right Photo):
unnamed.jpg

And the last model was a 250X that was sold through JCPenney's. It was originally painted yellow. It was called the "Mach 1". Even though this bike had a wider market being sold through JCPenney's surprisingly it's a super rare bike and I've only seen one photo of it ever. Thankfully someone on here did have photos of the manual for it that they shared.

Mach 1:
Polish_20230725_075109743.jpg
catmach1 (2).jpg
catmach11 (2).jpg
catmach12 (2).jpg

Good post, FWS. Yessir, I had all the info about the years and the green color only for '69 from previous research I did. Your info on the girlie bike, and the Mach 1, plus pics and owner's manual is great! Do you know if any of these came with a white 2 1/2 hp Tecumseh engine? I always thought it had a white engine, but I could be thinking of my white bike with a white engine.
What I was asking if anyone knew if that is flame red on these 250x bikes. FWIW, I always thought this one came from JC Penney's, like most of the mini bikes in our neighborhood did from back then. This bike I have is most likely one that a school bud and his brothers had from back around '70-72. It came from close to the old neighborhood we lived in 50 years ago, so I think it got passed around enough that my younger BiL ended up with it. It is just a WELL worn frame with beat up wheels and tires. Nothing pretty to look at. The reason I think it's my buddy's bike is two things; it came from the area we lived, and the front fork is bent from another kid crashing it into a curb one day that we were all taking turns riding it. I remember this was the fastest mini bike in the neighborhood, even though it had the smallest engine(smallest bike, and smallest kid too). His older brother "wired" the governor to get the redline much higher than any of ours. So much fun to remember all that and laugh out LOUD!
The funniest thing is how it ended up over here in my yard. It sat here for close to 10 years before I even put together what, and whose bike this is!! It hit me like a brick when I put it together. :oops: :D:D

FunWithStuff

Do you know if any of these came with a white 2 1/2 hp Tecumseh engine? I always thought it had a white engine, but I could be thinking of my white bike with a white engine.
To my knowledge Cat mini bikes always originally had black Tecumsehs on them except for the first year (1969) they used Briggs engines and then only had Tecumsehs from 1970-1976 so you're bike would have originally had a 2.5 hp black Tecumseh That's a great story you shared about the bike too! I always enjoy hearing stories of how these bikes were a big part of some people's childhood.

To my knowledge Cat mini bikes always originally had black Tecumsehs on them except for the first year (1969) they used Briggs engines and then only had Tecumsehs from 1970-1976 so you're bike would have originally had a 2.5 hp black Tecumseh That's a great story you shared about the bike too! I always enjoy hearing stories of how these bikes were a big part of some people's childhood.
Yessir, it most likely did have a black engine in it. My '71(?) Duster Chopper had a black engine in it. I got that bike from the guy that crashed this 250x that day I mentioned.
Haha, I still laugh about figuring it out about the bike being THIS BIKE! Out of all the mini bikes in that neighborhood, I have this bike fall into my possession and I didn't even put it together until a few years ago. I'm still friends with the guy that crashed it. I only just now sent him a picture of it. He's mind blown!! lol :oops::D:cool:

Yessir, it most likely did have a black engine in it. My '71(?) Duster Chopper had a black engine in it. I got that bike from the guy that crashed this 250x that day I mentioned.
Haha, I still laugh about figuring it out about the bike being THIS BIKE! Out of all the mini bikes in that neighborhood, I have this bike fall into my possession and I didn't even put it together until a few years ago. I'm still friends with the guy that crashed it. I only just now sent him a picture of it. He's mind blown!! lol :oops::D:cool:
I’m glad that FWS got back involved with this thread. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on here when it comes to Cats. He’s helped me a lot and a good guy. When I first got back to my TS I got on here and made a couple errors etc and he just kinda guided me right. You would be hard pressed to find better help. Good luck with your build KMC1. P.S. The story is too cool. Saved another one!!

FunWithStuff

I’m glad that FWS got back involved with this thread. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on here when it comes to Cats. He’s helped me a lot and a good guy. When I first got back to my TS I got on here and made a couple errors etc and he just kinda guided me right. You would be hard pressed to find better help. Good luck with your build KMC1. P.S. The story is too cool. Saved another one!!
I appreciate that @Ginz61 what can I say, Cats are fun! They are what got me into mini bikes and I've liked them ever since!

FunWithStuff

You have a Duster Chopper? That's awesome! I'd really like if you could post photos of your bikes especially the Cats and thanks for sharing more of your story too! I have a feeling you probably have some more haha.

You have a Duster Chopper? That's awesome! I'd really like if you could post photos of your bikes especially the Cats and thanks for sharing more of your story too! I have a feeling you probably have some more haha.
:/ Unfortunately, no. The Duster Chopper was one of my favorites, sadly let it go for a racing go cart back then. Duster is the purple bike with sissy bar, Tecumseh 4 horse if I recall. I had 2 different bikes back then. The bigger frame bike I had was a trail horse I believe, had a 5 horse Tecumseh in it. Never thought I was supposed to remember all this. lol

Random internet pic of Duster. Exactly how it looked. Sissy bar finally gave up and broke off.

Attachments