Cat Eliminator Restoration

C9H13NO3

This will be the thread I use to document the resto of my Cat Eliminator.

When I got it from Minibikin' on 7/18/11

As you can see, the engine plate is the worst as rust goes.

I got the bike disassembled.

Was very difficult, actually.

The rear wheel came off easily, the axle just slid out.

The front wheel, however, has yet to come off. Its rusted solid.

and checked for cracks/rewelds, or any bends.

The left handlebar is bent 1/8 of an inch outwards. Not the right, the left.
-Fixed in 5 minutes with a torch and a 2x4.

The engine plate had some extra holes in it.
Filled them in less than 10 minutes with the MIG.

The rear part of the frame had some small, self-tapping screw holes in it. Filled in with the MIG.

The engine plate was cracked along the edge, ever so slightly where the plate meets the frame on both sides.

Did a nice 8" long bead down both sides, looks great. (I'll grind it flat eventually)

Upon further inspection, there was a small pinhole on the left frame rail under the engine plate. I ground it smooth and filled it in with the MIG.

I now have the whole frame sitting in a 55 gallon drum of Evapo-rust, and I'm preparing a muriatic acid solution to clean up the stars.

I might get an update in tomorrow, but I'm leaving for NC Friday morning.

C9H13NO3

congrats on joining the CAT lovers group kid.....now where the hell did you get 55 gallons of Evaporust :eek:hmy: !!

That stuff is like $28 a gallon...so times 55 that like what, a million dollars ??!
:biggrin:

The barrel is only 3/4th of the way full. It's probably right around 40 gallons.

As for the $$,

I was able to get a 55 gallon drum of the stuff for a few hundred bucks.

After all, where do you think I got the drum :laugh:

Drums are about $1,200 last time I checked. I can't imagine ever going through that much of it though, stuff last a long time if you follow the recommendations. I hope you don't drop something small down into the drum...you might be going swimming. Good luck on the build.

Last edited:

C9H13NO3

Drums are about $1,200 last time I checked. I can't imagine ever going through that much of it though, stuff last a long time if you fallow the recommendations. I hope you don't drop something small down into the drum...you might be going swimming. Good luck on the build.
I paid roughly a 1/4 of that. If you know the right people you can get so much stuff for free.

That is rough to say the least, but it has potential, I mean under all the rust it is a really cool bike. Good luck with the resto. :thumbsup: What are you using for an engine?

I am trying! I had a couple month deployment and have been tring to get back into the swing of things again! Did you see what I got done with the hh100 engine?

go look at the RARE CAT TWISTER thread. Casey Davis was posting up some color codes for the closest thing he's seen to the original Pineapple Flam
Towards the end of the thread. ohandineedanintakemanifoldforamikunitaperboretobriggs5hpbadassflatheadanditneedstohaveasharpcurveinitpmme

Were mixing a portion of Juniper Green to that code now trying to nail that specific picture reference. I'm going to have some sprayouts this week hopefully. That's just one color though... I think a metallic base and candy overlay might be easier than trying to customize powder to match. You have more options using paint, and I think paint is still and will forever be king of finishes. Good luck.

Were mixing a portion of Juniper Green to that code now trying to nail that specific picture reference. I'm going to have some sprayouts this week hopefully. That's just one color though... I think a metallic base and candy overlay might be easier than trying to customize powder to match. You have more options using paint, and I think paint is still and will forever be king of finishes. Good luck.
Awesome.

If you get the blend right I'd love to buy a quart or two.

and I think paint is still and will forever be king of finishes. Good luck.
paint will always be king....first time you have to make a repair or touch- up on your powder coated frame you'll realize that :doah:

....plus they didn't powder coat frames in the 60's-70's...:rolleyes:

hell we're still shooting lacquer here in Jersey....