Chain Differences

The jackshaft says something like 5/8 #40 so I'm assuming that is it. The back sprocket does not have anything that I can see written on it. I got the bike from Markus and he cleaned it up. It is a Heathkit.

I was curious as to whether the chains were interchangeable. I will look up chain.

So if you are unsure if you have a 40 or a 41 sprocket or you have one of each maybe. Which chain would you get to work on either? I couldnt find the chain thing you were referring to in the search.

So if you are unsure if you have a 40 or a 41 sprocket or you have one of each maybe. Which chain would you get to work on either? I couldnt find the chain thing you were referring to in the search.

I know I don't have a 41 sprocket as I have 41 chain that does not fit. The jackshaft sprocket to the back wheel has a 40 on it. I was trying to find out if 420 and 41 are the same chain.

Additionally, I was trying to find out if there is a way to check the back sprocket for chain size.

I didnt mean YOU were unsure. I meant if a person was unsure. But if YOU say that your 41 doesnt fit on I am assuming a 40 sprocket,then does a 40 fit on a 41 perhaps? I need to order some chain myself and probably have a few combinations of sprockets. Can I just order 40 chain to be safe?

Marshall man on the super powell the i built on the clutch and both jack shaft sprockets are 40 's the rear sprocket is a 420 . We run a 420 renthall chain . They both work together fine . What i did find out was cheap 420 chains don't fit so well on the 40 sprockets , helps to buy a quality and pre stretched chain . Hope this helps you David

Thanks for all the help. It looks like 40 and 41 are the same chain based on the diagram. David, appreciate the info, didn't know you could do that.

One other thing, the only known I have is the #40 sprocket on the jackshaft driving the rear sprocket, that is why I was assuming it must be a 40 as well. David brought up something that I did not think about with the 420 and 40 combo. Appreciate the diagram Buckeye.

Last edited:

MB165

420 chain is stronger than 41, it has larger pins, the 40 is a little wider, same pin size as 420.

Last edited:

george3

Marshall man on the super powell the i built on the clutch and both jack shaft sprockets are 40 's the rear sprocket is a 420 . We run a 420 renthall chain . They both work together fine . What i did find out was cheap 420 chains don't fit so well on the 40 sprockets , helps to buy a quality and pre stretched chain . Hope this helps you David
The rollers on the 420 are narrow comparied to 40 fits on some 40 drive sprockets not all. fits on some large sprockets not all. 420MXZ is some good chain if it fits. 425 is avab. I think it is the metric size for the 40. and better quality than 40. measure your sprocket width, no one likes a sloppy fit.

Thanks for all the help. It looks like 40 and 41 are the same chain based on the diagram. David, appreciate the info, didn't know you could do that.

One other thing, the only known I have is the #40 sprocket on the jackshaft driving the rear sprocket, that is why I was assuming it must be a 40 as well. David brought up something that I did not think about with the 420 and 40 combo. Appreciate the diagram Buckeye.
No, #41 chain will NOT fit on a #40 sprocket, DAMHIKT. You can use #40 on a #41, but not vice versa. Also, I found that #41 ~ #410 chain as my Honda Passport (scooter not SUV) came with 410 chain, but not having any in his collection, I used some of my dad's #41 chain and it worked great. Someday when I get roundtuit and restore my Passport, I will put 410 back on.

Paul

I have my sons Honda XR-70 in the shed that he is long since outgrown, it has 420 chain. I pulled the chain off of that and it seemed to go around both sprockets just fine, but was to short. I guess I'll be ordering some 420. Thanks for all the help on this!