chain keeps falling off...

got the mini bike going yesterday but Im having some issues with the chain. The clutch and sprocket aren't at a perfect parallel to each other so the chain keeps coming off. Well, thats the conclusion I came to at least. Im going to have to move the engine over and will also have to offset the tire slightly to the right. Will this be ok? Having the tire slightly offset to right?

S.H. Offsetting the rear wheel can be done, but I would only do that as a
last resort. Ideally the front and rear wheel should track exactly one behind
the other. You might try drilling new motor mount holes or turning the clutch
around so the clutch sprocket teeth are nearer to the engine block. If you do
go with offsetting the wheels you may run into handling problems. Good luck,
Ogygopsis

I had that problem with one. I had to put the sprocket side of the clutch in toward the engine with a spacer about 1/8 thick between the sprocket and engine.

which one is sticking out more? If the engine sticks out more and you cant move it without drilling new holes, you could put a spacer between the wheel and the sproket IF you have room between the frame.

Have you ever tried to move the engine? what engine is it and what bike? Is the clutch in all the way?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
If the motor sticks out more then the rear sprocket, then all you have to do is use longer sprocket bolts with washers behind the sprocket. This will basically move the sprocket out, more away from the tire.

Sorry I didn't get into the details but yeah the engine side sticks out more than the sprocket. The clutch is already turned inside out. The engine is an older briggs. My problem with the offset is this: Someone, at some point, added new holes/slides into the frame plate. So I can move the engine over easily but it would have to be almost a whole inch. This would then make the sprocket stick out further then the clutch, which is why I would have to offset the wheel to make it even.
I cant go any further to the left on the sprocket side otherwise the nuts that hold the sprocket on would be hitting the frame.
I can get some pictures tommarow to give you guys a better idea.

Ok so im guessing that the two sprockets(clutch and wheel) have to be dead straight even then? Otherwise it causes problems? I think this chain is pretty beat up, twisted, stretched and whatnot and that may be causing some of the problems too.
I am having a little bit of a problem with the engine sliding backwards causing the chain to get loose, any solutions on that?

I can't see straight, so to make sure my sprockets are aligned and parallel, I use a length of stainless square rod clamped flat against the sprockets to make sure they're aligned and sitting parallel to the frame.

I also like to use a chain tensioner, since chain stretches unevenly throughout it's length...this compensates for the chain tightening and loosening as the sprocket turns.

On higher HP engines that like to move backwards on the mounting plate, I weld on two adjustment screws/nuts that push against the base of the engine, allowing me to adjust it for tension and tighten down without the engine shifting around on the plate. The dual screws allow me to ensure the engine stays parallel to the frame.

If I have a bike that won't allow me to have the wheels centered in the frame without the engine being severely offset from center, I'll add a jackshaft to get everything aligned and balanced.