Chain tight/loose

After I go to adjust the chain and tighten the axle nuts, the chain gets tighter when I tighten them. And when I rotate the wheel, the chain gets looser then tighter, looser then tighter. What does this mean as far as what isn't aligned right?

I probably caused this problem when I moved the engine over for the torque converter. But what exactly needs to be fixed?

I tusually means your sprocket is not orbiting in a perfect circle. Take the chain off then put a flathead screwdriver against the sprocket teeth. It has to be in a fixed position. Then spin the wheel. A sprocket that is true will make a clicking noise on the screwdriver all the way around. One that is out of proper orbit will not click all the way around. There is a vid of this somewhere on OldMiniBikes. I had the same prob once.

If the two sprockets aren't aligned, would that cause tight/loose though? Or would it just consistently be "tight"?
Yes that has happened to me before. When you combine this with a old chain with stiff spots in it that will happen. I bought a new chain and it was better but if you don't correct the alignment you will where out chains prematurely.

Yes that has happened to me before. When you combine this with a old chain with stiff spots in it that will happen. I bought a new chain and it was better but if you don't correct the alignment you will where out chains prematurely.
I need to get a chain alignment laser. I thought it was aligned but I had no accurate way to tell, I just used a piece of steel.

The chain is brand new.

manco12

Okay, I have more information.

The chain is the same tension based on how the wheel is positioned, not by where the chain is positioned.

As in, no matter where the master link is doesn't make a difference. But when the #'s on the tire are 90 degrees up, every time rotated, the chain will be tight there. And it seems to gradually get looser and tighter.

well it sounds like the sprocket isnt running true with the rim . take the chain off and hold something to the edge of the sprocket and turn the wheel and see if the sprocket moves in and out .

well it sounds like the sprocket isnt running true with the rim . take the chain off and hold something to the edge of the sprocket and turn the wheel and see if the sprocket moves in and out .
You don't think it's from moving the engine over and not having the enigne straight or something?

Manco, Take it from an old timer who has been around minibikes for at least 55 years; your loose / tight chain condition is caused by your rear sprocket not being centered with respect to the rear axle. Do like Ozark Caveman said and take the chain off. Put the bike up on blocks so you can spin the rear wheel freely. Attach or clamp on some sort of indicator so that it just touches the teeth of the rear sprocket. As you spin the wheel you will notice that at some places the teeth touch the indicator and in some places it doesn't. If you can; loosen the rear sprocket and adjust it until all the teeth are the same distance away from the indicator as you spin the rear wheel. PS. Don't waste your money on a laser to line up the front and rear sprockets. A good steel straight edge is all you need. Hope this helps. Ogy

Mac

....I usually drill the sprocket mounting holes one size larger
and that gives me enough room to snug the bolts a little and tap the
sprocket as it goes around until it's about right and then tighten it.

Azusa sprockets almost always make the chain loose,then tight.
(If that's the brand sprocket you have)

Looks like you guys are right!

Put the bike on jack stands and took the chain off. Rested a piece of metal on the top of the sprocket and it hit on part of the rotation but not the whole time around. I could see it was only off by a tiny bit. I guess a little round circle goes a long way though.

Not really sure when or how this problem started. Maybe it's been like this all along and I just didn't know before I modified the bike.

This is on a Serengeti Puma bike which I believe has the same rear sprocket setup as the Baja 200's. Can I oosen the sprocket and try to move it a bit?

YES....any time I have ran into this, I'll rotate it until it is at the tightest point, and then loosen the sprocket bolts. This will often be all that it takes to alleviate the problem (unless it is really extreme).
EDIT: What Mac said....same deal :doah:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! :thumbsup:

I'll give it a try when I get a chance, have some junk to get done tonight :crying:

Well the sprocket sure has room toc move. I tried to get it the best I could. The chain is still tight/loose but I think it may be a little better. Should I not worry about it, what should be the acceptable range difference from the tightest and loosest spot?

Oldsalt

Well the sprocket sure has room toc move. I tried to get it the best I could. The chain is still tight/loose but I think it may be a little better. Should I not worry about it, what should be the acceptable range difference from the tightest and loosest spot?
In comparison to sprocket alignment a sprocket that's not concentric with the axle, and that is the problem, is 10 time worse in causing the chain to throw. I'd fix the problem because if you do throw that new chain it will probably get damaged.