Chainsaw motors

Has anyone here seen any good chainsaw engine minibikes. I know some chainsaws are well over 100cc and producing 8-10 hp and can run up to 10,000-14,000 rpms. Just a thought.

same here. I am close to starting a project with an old Homelite. Let me know, thanks.
What kind of Homelite engine are you using?

I have a couple of older Homelites that I'm having a tough time trying to properly I.D. They are both a bit over 100cc. From what I've read, they should produce power lower in the RPM band than most 2-strokes.

What kind of Homelite engine are you using?

I have a couple of older Homelites that I'm having a tough time trying to properly I.D. They are both a bit over 100cc. From what I've read, they should produce power lower in the RPM band than most 2-strokes.

not sure. Its my dads old saw he gave me when he bought a new one. I'll have to check and get back to you.

i welded a bycycle sprocket on the stock clutch of a homelite. trouble was making the mount i ended up making it bolt to there the bar atatched and made some holes in the handle. i mounted it on a scooter. reved it up and almost killed myself when it threw the chain. then i welded a bicycle trick peg to the clutch to try a scrub setup but that didnt really work either. i guess if it had the right gearing and good mount it would work but probrobly not great. maby on a lil petro or tom thumb. just dont expect to go fast

Oldsalt

There are some common chain saw motors out there that are rather powerful. It's just a lot more trouble to mount one and get a drive system to work. As the motor lays down and not upright like a 4-stroke they lend themselves to such mini bikes as a Tom Thumb or Caper Cycle. A Mac kart motor is a spin off of their chain saw motor. Don't figger on raceing a mini with one if you are useing a Briggs or Tec.

We have an old Homelight C-7 at work that we got running the other night. Just needed a new set of points, which somehow we had in stock from who knows how long ago. Fires up first pull, but the handle was broken off of it years ago. Been trying to find some info on specs for it, but no luck yet. If anyone knows where to find this info, it would be greatly appreciated.

We are thinking of putting it on a lightweight kart frame (especially if we could find its twin somewhere), as a mini-bike would probably not be what its best suited for. Trouble is, we can't seem to find a sprocket and clutch for it. Some people just weld on a sprocket, which we may end up doing if we go forward with it.

Last edited:
not sure. Its my dads old saw he gave me when he bought a new one. I'll have to check and get back to you.
They can be made,to really go fast on a bicycle with a scrubber. Had a
2cycle similar to that size,that did run 40mph,on a 20" bike. Screamed
like a SOB,though.I'm half deaf,cause of it.

We have an old Homelight C-7 at work that we got running the other night....
...Been trying to find some info on specs for it, but no luck yet. If anyone knows where to find this info....
Might be able to dig up something here.
Chain Saw Collectors Corner - Gasoline Chain Saws by Manufacturer

The engine I have pictured in this thread is a Homelite from the 50's or so. I would really like to go through it & then build a bike around it.

The blower shroud most closely resembles one of these.

Model Profile: 20MCS

Model Profile: 26LCS