change in startability

i have a hf 6.5, its about 35 degrees out here right now. i rode the bike a lot in 15-25 degree weather with no problems starting or any thing, but after riding in the snow it takes choke and gas rather than just choke to start. im wondering if this has any thing to do with over revving it in the snow, the gov is still in but it was hitting the gov pretty quick then hooking up and dropping rpms

try using lighter weight oil, I know my vw wouldnt start on cold days when my father was stationed in michigan, and everyone uses winter grade oil in the winter in their cars in cold climates or the resistance from thicker oil will make it impossible to start or stay running long enough to warm up, find winter grade oil for it and make sure to change it when the weather warms up. and the gov rod could also be hitting the conrod and slapping back and forth, u may want to install a stiff spring or wire it so it cant touch the conrod, or do the right thing and remove the gov and throw it in the garbage.

havent seen real cold in 10 years tho so all this mention of cold is just a memory to me.

Last edited:

Ratbike

Mix synthetic with regular oil.Works great for me!!!

I live in Iowa.... temps down to 10 below alot of the time here lately. I mix synthetic 1/3 with 10-30 weight 2/3's and it pulls easy and starts almost like summer. Obviously you will need a little more choke because of the colder temp. The synthetic oil never changes viscosity , whether cold or hot outside. I would use straight synthetic but I'm too cheap as it costs over double what a regular qt of oil does...I do the same in my cars over the winter as they sit out side with wind chills down to 30 below. Thin oils work great to start the motor but once the motor warms up it thins out like water...hot 5-30 weight as an example. This will solve your problem safely!:thumbsup: