Cheap gearing solution? Change the reducer gear?

GTLabs

You guys make it easy to be a n00b. Thank you.

I'm going to try and do this without pictures. My bike has no top end apparently due to about a 10:1 final drive ratio.

There's a 2:1 gear reducer attached to my actual chain drive. It's not a jackshaft. Can I change the rear gear on the reducer and take the cheap way out? It's a 10/20 arrangement, with 10 teeth on the motor and 20 at the rear. I think swapping to a 14 tooth on the rear would do just fine numerically and be very cheap. 18.5in tires do change things a bit. The rear gear on that reducer is the easiest to reach and change.

Thoughts?

GTLabs

GTLabs

I read your thread and it looks like you changed two gears to get to 30mph. Did the 13t just do that or did the 36t rear come later and get you to 30mph?

No, I only changed the 20t sprocket to a 13t. I had to remove 4 links out of the chain and I also removed the chain tensioner since it wasn't needed with the shorter chain. Here are a couple pictures, there is a couple more in my gallery.

Last edited:
bucksboysdad.....ya know, ill bet if you take the plate off with that second gear on it, and flip your clutch around, you could run a single chain and get rid of all that b.s.

GTLabs

I had thought about that single chain idea and running a longer chain to mate things up. Do these clutches like to be on backwards or does it matter?

I had thought about that single chain idea and running a longer chain to mate things up. Do these clutches like to be on backwards or does it matter?
You can definately run the clutch backwards and get a longer chain and just run one. There are videos on youtube where guys have done that. The bike will hit 40mph but will have no low end. Taking out the jackshaft and running the 10t clutch and a 50t rear sprocket 5:1 ratio you will have no take off with the stock 6.5 motor.

GTLabs

I'd rather have some take off cruising around neighborhood/city streets. That gutless bottom end would be exacerbated by our 5300ft. elevation.

joekd

I have already ordered the new chain to bypass the jackshaft, now I am really concerned with how bad low end will be

I guess I will still go ahead and try it, worst case is I put it back and look into other ideas like vipers sporcket convert