Cheapskate 18 pound valve springs

Has anyone just stretched the stock springs so they have more force?

I know it probably wouldn't be a long term solution to buying heavier springs.

i guess you could cut a coil off. i have never done it but with car coil over springs it you have a spring that has 10 coils and a spring rate of 100lbs per" and you cut a coil off the spring rate goes up 10% making it a 110lb spring that is shorter.

mybiz

If you stretch a spring your going to weaken it:oops:If you cut a coil off your asking for nothing but troubles And maybe a bent valve. Spend the $8 and not have to wonder what the:censure:

Oldsalt

klapool

I am also a cheapskate. In an Intek [similar engine] I used a second spring slipped inside the stock springs. A package of springs at the corner ACE hardware store was less than 4 bucks and there was no postage and waiting for a delivery from Bumbdork, RI. For that engine the springs were a Century brand off the rack that has an outside diameter of about 5/8" and wound from .045 diameter wire. Heck, you got nothing to loose, pull out the springs and determine what will fit inside. Get some springs at the hardware store for a few bucks and cut them to the same "free" length as the stock springs and re-install. I'm thinking that you think a lot like I do; Even if it really doesn't make sence it's more fun to experiment. My double spring set up in the Intek worked perfectly.

that's fine if you aren't into going fast. :innocent:
I guess im not. I ride mostly around the yard and in the woods. I think im haulin. Then i hit the pavement and im like what gives is it broken :blink: It takes alot more speed to get the same thrill on flat ground thats for sure

Oldsalt

Off topic, sorry, but hey oldsalt, what kind of times do you get out of the Camaro? Scott.
That's my youngest son's car. I built it for him when he was in high school so he wouldn't have any excuse for being late. He has not raced it for a couple of years at the local strip and has not driven it on the street for at least a year. To shame him I wrote "Abandoned Vehicle" on the rear window. Note the kittie tracks on the trunk lid. I can't accuritely recall what the 4000 lb street car does the 1/8.

Last edited:
Its been 10 days. Have you tried anything yet.
Nope, Not yet. My 10 year old and I need to build a work bench in the basement to tear into this thing befor we tear it apart.

I have a work bench in the garage but it is SOOOOOOO cold in there I just am to old to put up with icy fingers.

When we do tear into it, I'll make sure I take lots of pics.

mybiz

Understand. Were not having a heatwave here ether. Its like 15 or 16 here. But your probably 20 below or better. :boat::eek:hmy: And were getting your North winds. Please turn your fans to the north there freezing us out :scared: