Chrome Toad

Picked up another bike today from close to the Detroit border. The pics I saw before I purchased it did not prepare me for the reality. The bike is a Ruttman Toad and the entire frame is chrome. My question is did this ever come out of the factory like this or was it added. I got her home a started to dismantle a clean--previous owner had a small radiator(not functional) mounted in front of the engine. The wheels are early Ruttman and the frame is in excellent shape.Will steel wool and polish the chrome up some more and change the engine.The gas tank I think is Rupp--may get rid of it. So Cheezy, Mean Dean and anyone else I need your help--thanks. Pics as found and after mild clean up.

Your rims and sprocket are original. They had a 72t sprocket with the 5" Taco style wheels. The fenders are from an Arctic Cat. The tanks is from a Rupp. Any other questions..feel free to ask. Oh..and not called a Toad. They didn't start using those names till 1970. Before then they were numbers like GT150 and such. Dean will know the number for the chrome models. Yours would be a late 68 to early 69.

Last edited:
Thank you Bill--I knew you would know.Did they come with Techs or Briggs?Were they common?
Your welcome :thumbsup:. Most the ones I have seen or owned have had Tecs. I have seen a few older washer frames ones with Briggs though. Your year seems to be less common than the chrome washer frames. They seem few and far between. I have actually never owned one of that year...if that tells you how uncommon they are.:laugh:

markus

Can you make the typing less blurry? Interesting to see that. I don't have that article.
click on it a couple of times, I scanned them, they expand to actual size ( that was when MBG was still standard paper pages so thats as good as it gets). If its still blurry google lens crafters and setup and appt. for an eye exam :laugh:

click on it a couple of times, I scanned them, they expand to actual size ( that was when MBG was still standard paper pages so thats as good as it gets). If its still blurry google lens crafters and setup and appt. for an eye exam :laugh:
:censure:..Didn't know I could click on it to make them larger :doah:. And ya..I do need my eyes checked anyways :laugh:

Kinda weird though..the article is from May 1969....but the frame is 1968 or older washer frame. And the Briggs 5 wasn't on washer frames from factory those years...(from what I know). And the clutch cover is from a Pacmule/Judge/ Grasshopper. Hmmm....interesting

markus

Kinda weird though..the article is from May 1969....but the frame is 1968 or older washer frame. And the Briggs 5 wasn't on washer frames from factory those years...(from what I know). And the clutch cover is from a Pacmule/Judge/ Grasshopper. Hmmm....interesting
I just scanned this one too, its out of the November 1969 MBG, they are showing washer frames on 3 of the 4 bikes there still too, same deal click on it to get the expand.

I just scanned this one too, its out of the November 1969 MBG, they are showing washer frames on 3 of the 4 bikes there still too, same deal click on it to get the expand.

Ya..Dean mentioned that before about having the wrong bikes for the year or something like that in that add. I see he lurks on here still..hopefully he will pop in and add to this.:shrug: