CL vintage Doodle-bug special

Since Buckeye likes these I thought it was worth the risk.

I took a gamble on this one last night and drove an hour into the back woods country. Was a CL listing which had been up for over 24 hours. So I really thought the bike pictured was not the one for sale.
But for under a bill I took a buckeye gamble.

I'm glad I did. It looks never motor mounted. One would say NOS with rough shelf life. However It's in rough shape to many. It did sit in unheated elements. But a good cleaning it's probable the best survivor roller I ever found. Still has Goodyear tires uncracked and seat untouched and no marks under fenders.

Since Buckeye likes these I thought it was worth the risk.

I took a gamble on this one last night and drove an hour into the back woods country. Was a CL listing which had been up for over 24 hours. So I really thought the bike pictured was not the one for sale.
But for under a bill I took a buckeye gamble.

I'm glad I did. It looks never motor mounted. One would say NOS with rough shelf life. However It's in rough shape to many. It did sit in unheated elements. But a good cleaning it's probable the best survivor roller I ever found. Still has Goodyear tires uncracked and seat untouched and no marks under fenders.

OHHHH MYYY! Very nice my friend. Looks like a early 65-69 model. The brake lever has no ball on it so its more than likely a 65 to maybe mid 66. It looks like original lights. It has the original disk brake and a HUGE plus is it has the original fenders. It's got the original kickstand. Curiously it has a jack shaft on it. Doodlebugs usually didn't have them but you never know what the owner did after he bought it. I can't quite see in the picture but it looks as if the forks are secured with the cast aluminum tri-nut. The throttle and brake hardware is all original. Hopefully Ogy sees this and chimes in.

This is a great bike you found. Have fun restoring it. I've done a couple and they ride great.

Doc

Last edited:

buckeye

Wow, that is quite the score right there.

And, must be your week. Your Spartans over the Bucks.....not.
Mini bike will just help the pain.:laugh:

Jack shaft and other questions

Ya, there is a couple things funny on this frame. I don't think that was a jack shaft. It all looks factory welded real clean with OG paint. Also there is only one sprocket on the shaft. It actually might be some type of chain tensioner. That's what it looks like to me.
But I'm almost sure nobody put on after the fact.

And the fork to frame bolt has some type of crazy nut on the end. Wouldn't even know how to get off. Everything is tight so it's working. It's almost like you push down on the top portion of nut and turn bold from bottom. but not sure.

1. What are your peoples thought on the area for the jack shaft? And what type of fork nut is on this darn thing?

2. The serial number badge has been untouched. Can I get date off that number?

3. Would this bike had a Tec motor yet or a Clinton? I have seen with both so I'm not sure.

4. Lastly, What was the metal box under the seat used for? I think it was a battery box for the lights but not sure.

Thanks!

buckeye

From what I remember, the older Foxes had a weird fork nut. Kinda triangle shaped. No pro, just remember reading that somewhere on here.
The box under the seat would indeed be a battery box.

I bet that is suppose to be a jackshaft. They modified it.

And I bet, someone comes along and proves how little I know.:laugh:

Nice project.:thumbsup:

Scottessey

Here's a pic of the Fox tri-nut. I believe it is just a fancy nut. Also, take a look at some pics of Trailbugs just to see how Fox did their jack shaft setups. The T-bug had two sprockets on the jack shaft, but one was mounted outside the frame. I still think yours is a doodlebug, it could just be that a jack shaft was put on it. I'm pretty sure Fox sold these as kits (as an option) you take home and assemble. Ogygopsis will have some good knowledge for you. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Pap, The nut that holds the forks on is a tri-lobed cast aluminum nut. See pics below. To date no one has been able to find or come up with a code for determining the date using the serial number. The metal box under the seat was used to hold a 6v dry cell battery for powering the lighting system. Because most of the motors at that time did not have lighting coils and because you could buy this bike without a motor and add your own; it made sense to offer an optional battery tray for the lights. The bike came with the jackshaft flanges already welded on. It was up to the purchaser whether he wanted to install a jackshaft or not. Ogy

The Nut

The nut does not look like that at all it's not a tri nut. I will get picks and post. I can tell it looks original to the bike so we will see. Like I said this nut is funky looking.
The badge does say Doodle-bug. and has a serial. I will get pics of that also. Thanks for posting sales ad.

Took awhile to get pics. Well here is what the nut looks like. It pushes up and down.
Also, Here is a good shot of the Jackshaft. I feel it had to be an option at the time. Because the badge does say doodle not trail.
If it was an option what size gear was used for the one missing? And what guard would have been used? I would think a trail-bug guard but not sure. Whish I had a good pic of the trail-bug guard.

I'm almost wondering if the nut was a special option also?

Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:

The round portion pushes down/over the flat area just below. I believe when the round portion is pushed down and falls in line with the flat portion below it kinda locks. Then you turn axle head from below. So you don't need a wrench above just hold down knob with your hand.

Maybe they used it as more of a secure fast release system then the tri nut. I know in there sales ad's they talk about their easy disconnect forks.

Last edited:
Well now I'm stumped:confused: I looked up the pat. no. on the part and it's a quick disconnect. But it's to be used like the disconnects on air hoses. With both male and female ends. The Pat. does mention other uses which are over my head.
Maybe the male end which I don't have works like a key almost to disconnect the forks.

I was wrong above when I said to turn the bolt head from below. There is a factory weld holding bolt head in place.
So now I don't know how they used this on this bike.
Maybe someone else can tell me...

Series 3000 The Hansen MFG. Co.
Pat. No. 2092116 :doah:

That fitting on the top of the triple tree is not factory in any way. Someone put that on there for some reason. Don't cut that weld on the bolt unless the original threads are gone. Fox welded that bolt on and the lower fork section slid upwards into the neck and the tri-nut secured it on top. That triple tree splits into the handle bar section and the lower fork leg section so one could take the forks off easily for transportation. Sometimes the tri-nut is unusable for some reason and most folks just put a standard nut on the top where the fitting is.

Explore Ogy's fork posts and you will see how these went together. It's really kind of ingenious what Fox did.

Doc