Cleaning Junk Out Of Gas Tanks?

So, I was given an old racing engine that ran on, nitro? :shrug: It left a very sweet smelling gooey layer of paste in the bottom of the gas tank. It also heavily rusted it from what it looks like.. Is there a way to thoroughly clean the tank?

I have always wanted to find an old paint mixer from like Lowes or Walmart, one of those where you strap the gallon of paint in the machine and it mixes it by shaking the Ba-Jeez-us out of it. Throw a hand full or two of BB's in the tank, tape off the holes REALLY good and add some Kerosene and strap the tank on the machine and let it "DO-WORK" for about 45 minutes. Drain then add more kerosene and repeat!

buckeye

Smaoeone mentioned one time about filling it with bb's and tapeing it off. Then putting it on the trampoline and let the kids do the work.

Just be careful! In my younger day I was cleaning some cabinet hinges. I put them in an empty gallon paint can with some naval jelly. I put the lid on the can and shook it up. The freakin' can built up pressure and blew the lid off and shot the naval jelly right into my eyes. I had to run blindly and find the garden hose and douche my eyes for minutes.

SHOOSH!:doah:

What worked for me with two stroke gas mix residue on my moped was the paintbrush cleaner sold by one of the local BORG's. I experimented with kero, acetone, paint thinner and a couple of other products, but got the most gunk out with the PB cleaner.

As far as the rust, Vinegar, Evaporust, and other products can eat that. Moped Army actually has a pretty good Wiki that details the options and gives the pro's and con's of each.

Paul

buckeye

A bunch. You need to count each one to make sure you get them out. Naaaw not really!
Handful or so should do it. But, do it a couple two or three times.

We have used the BB's and gasoline mix trick with very good results. If the inside of the tank is REAL rusty we will first fill it up with Evaporust and let it soak over night. Then, the following day, pour out the Evaporust do the BB and gas trick- works every time!:thumbsup:

We have used the BB's and gasoline mix trick with very good results. If the inside of the tank is REAL rusty we will first fill it up with Evaporust and let it soak over night. Then, the following day, pour out the Evaporust do the BB and gas trick- works every time!:thumbsup:
Thanks a bunch!

There's a thread somewhere that has gone over this,I posted that I use PB Blaster,that comes in a spraycan and the paintshaker with small 3/8" Star lock washers,the ones with the locking nibs on the O.D. About an hour of shaking,dumped out the gunk,carb cleaned the stars and run it with some fresh lac.thinner for a few min. Looked new!....a shot of wd40 to prevent flash rust will help after Your done....Scootercat....