Clinton Engine Blues

So I'm working on this Sweet 2 stroke Clinton for my Ruttman project. I really need to take a small engine class by the way.:doah: I super cleaned and rebuilt the carb and new gaskets. After starting the engine to work on the carb adjustments a couple minutes later I noticed some black oily substance leaking and spitting from every hole in the muffler. What is it and why? :shrug: I have the fuel mixed 18/1 which I was told by the guy I bought it from was the way to go with these old 2 strokes. I trust him completely as he has an identical Clinton on one of his bikes. Why would it be spitting oil from the muffler? Maybe because it hasn't ran for a while....???:shrug: Like I said, I need to take a class, I don't know a whole lot about small engines but I do know some. Here's a pic of that engine I'm talking about. Thanks for any help.:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
At 18 to 1 It will probably start fouling plugs too, that's pretty fat on the oil. It's OK, run it fat for a while, after break in go to either 25 or 32 to 1 with a good grade of two stroke oil.

Probably a combination of a fat mix like Neck said, built up carbon inside coming loose, etc......even when you get it all dialed in it's always gonna spew some oil..welcome to the world of 2-strokes.

Look on the positive side, it keeps the bike from rusting.

The oil you could buy in the 1960s is very stoneage stuff when compared to the best of todays....

I won't sugest anything radical but I bet you could significantly decrease the amount of oil your using by moving up to s synthetic.

In order to error on the side of safety 50:1 in Amzoil would probably be more than enough ( they say 100:1 for everything or at least did back in the day. I ran Yahmalube, Nissan premix oil, and several others at higher ratios than recomended in a modified version of your engine with just a little bean oil added as insurance ).
We have come a long way from oils fortified with graphite to the synthetic blends of today.
Thats all I think I will add on the subject because you need to research this more and I am not realy all that familiar with what is available

Parts for that engine are still out there but you will want to be very careful you don't needlessly damage it.
Too much oil is bad, maybe just as much trouble as too little....

Thanks guys....I'm a 2 stroke newb. Would it be worth popping the muffler off and cleaning it out? I don't even know if it's possible to get in it or even clean it. How would someone take care of the carbon build up? :shrug: Good to know it's always gonna spew or at least is should be spewing to some extent though.

Probably a combination of a fat mix like Neck said, built up carbon inside coming loose, etc......even when you get it all dialed in it's always gonna spew some oil..welcome to the world of 2-strokes.

Look on the positive side, it keeps the bike from rusting.

george3

It could possibly have oil and gas buildup in the lower end of the engine. what oil are you mixing with the gas? Not knowing the oil brand and type I can not recommend how lean to run it.

Last edited:
It could possibly have oil and gas buildup in the lower end of the engine. what oil are you mixing with the gas? Not knowing the oil brand and type I can not recommend how lean to run it.
That engine has some passages to help clear oil out and suck it back through the intake.
This way it helps improve lubrication of the mains.

Very hard to get too much oil to hang in the crank case on that design ( decent double reed and stuffer on it too ).

What will happen because its a looper is the ports will foul up with carbon and the piston will get furry with half burned oil....

Cleaning that means a complete strip down

Also it called for Mobile 30 oil.
Everything today is better than that.....

Oil is Lucas Brand...been around a while from what I've been told and is a good oil. Semi synthetic. Popped the muffler off today, took it apart and soaked it in degreaser for a couple hours. Scrubbed up all the parts and it's so much better. Just gotta put it back together and mount it again. I have several other chores on this engine before I start it again. Hopefully cleaning out the carbon buildup in the muffler may help a bit but I guess I need to live with some oil mess working with 2 strokes. More to come here or on Project Logs.:thumbsup:

???

That engine has some passages to help clear oil out and suck it back through the intake.
This way it helps improve lubrication of the mains.

Very hard to get too much oil to hang in the crank case on that design ( decent double reed and stuffer on it too ).

What will happen because its a looper is the ports will foul up with carbon and the piston will get furry with half burned oil....

Cleaning that means a complete strip down

Also it called for Mobile 30 oil.
Everything today is better than that.....

I can do a lot of simple things on engines like rebuilding and cleaning carbs, replacing any gasket, etc..... What does a complete strip down consist of and should I go to small engine school before I do so....:laugh: I can take anything apart...anyone can. The problem is doing what is needed to be done, and putting it back together correctly hence.....do I need to take a small engine class or should I have someone else do this for me....:shrug: Thanks for the help...much appreciated!

Neck

Growing up is optional
All (should I say most?) of the engines we use, are very simple engine designs, and what you need to know can be found in the engine's manual, the rest is experience, and we can help you with that. So a small engine class is not necessary, but.......it wouldn't hurt!

Last edited:

george3

I can do a lot of simple things on engines like rebuilding and cleaning carbs, replacing any gasket, etc..... What does a complete strip down consist of and should I go to small engine school before I do so....:laugh: I can take anything apart...anyone can. The problem is doing what is needed to be done, and putting it back together correctly hence.....do I need to take a small engine class or should I have someone else do this for me....:shrug: Thanks for the help...much appreciated!
This oil? on the front page, Lucas Semi Synthetic 2-CYCLE Oil. If so what is the ratios on the oil?
Lucas Semi Synthetic 2-CYCLE Oil : Lucas Oil