Clone 196 cam and springs

N-gin

I have a Baja Warrior with a 196 clone. I was just going to repair the engine and slam it in the frame of this bike, but with how easy and cheap it is I somehow ended up with a shaved head, .036 jet(stock emulsion tube), aftermarket air filter, Modified rocker cover with PCV valve and breather. These things are addictive. Now I went to order a chock switch and ended up getting a .022 side covergasket, 10.8 springs(green), BSP-2 cam(couldn't pass for the price). I still have stock exhaust, but I'm thinking I'm going to weld up a pipe to fit the frame. I have an old style hot dog muffler. Found in the corner of the garage.

As far as the flywheel and Conn rod goes it is still stock. So with that being said I'm going to keep the governor. However I don't like the idea or having the internals there. So I'm in debate weather to take it out and have a throttle stop or just keep the governor in till I'm willing to go to connecting rod and flywheel.
Do they make a light weight flywheel with the magnets for the generator? I would like to keep the charging system. Turning high RPM is last on my list, its not important. I'll be happy with 4k.
Criticising welcomed, I have thick skin.

I wouldn't remove the governor and do a throttle stop. At least with governor in you got the carb fully open until governor kicks in.
With throttle stop, you get a lazy engine... No fun...
If you take the governor out, you need flywheel and rod. Easily 160$ +...
Get 1,3:1 rockers. Giving your bsp-2 more lift.

No aftermarket flywheel with charging capabilities at this time. I agree, keep the governor if 4k is all you need to turn. Change gear and labor the engine a little more. The improved torque will take it.

N-gin

Good info, thank you all!

Lookin at 1.3 now.. What is the max lift this head can handle?

what is stock ratio rocker arm?

Last edited:

N-gin

Score!
while looking for rockers I found an ebay auction with no reserve. ARC billet stock lenght rod w/ARP bolts and bearings, max stroke crankshaft and bearings. All for $60. Same guy selling billet flywheel $50.
Got all of it coming..goodbuy governor.

delray

what.......a minute. if you go with the 1.3 rockers and put a billet rod and flywheel on and take the governor off. you really need to replace the factory valve keepers and go with the automotive style keepers and valves or it all could come unglued.
with that cam and 1.3 rockers you will need 26# springs and you might as well get a good header pipe on it and a 22mm mikuni carb with a 120 jet and you will be off to the moon........:thumbsup:

N-gin

Ok i looked up that the stock rockers are 1:1 ratio. So its aafe to say that if i use 1.3 the lift will be .310/.315 with the BSP-2

N-gin

what.......a minute. if you go with the 1.3 rockers and put a billet rod and flywheel on and take the governor off. you really need to replace the factory valve keepers and go with the automotive style keepers and valves or it all could come unglued.
with that cam and 1.3 rockers you will need 26# springs and you might as well get a good header pipe on it and a 22mm mikuni carb with a 120 jet and you will be off to the moon........:thumbsup:
Even with the Crank,rod,and flywheel i probley wont want it to go more than 6k. Hence the use of the 10.8 valve springs and stock carb..

However i do have a set of stock carbs off a honda 175, i believe they are 20mm.

delray

i am just saying if you go with the 1.3 rockers(with cam) that will change everything. you will gain lot more lift and the motor would turn a easy 6000 rpms and anything that is left factory stock may come unglued.
if you just use that cam and the stock rockers, don't they recommend a 18# pound spring ?
really don't think a 20mm would be big enough? you could try it. just have watch the spark plug and makesure it does not run lean......(white plug)

once you take the governor off any small engine your in a whole nother world of different problems......also its all good if you get it right........:thumbsup:

I use a 20mm carb, dellorto.
I have the dynocams cm with .265 lift and .236 duration. 1,3:1 rockers, milled 22cc head .75 with 27/24 ss valves.
So I don't think the 20mm will bring you any trouble. Just jet it right.

N-gin

Will a 6625 flywheel fit on the clone 196? I had entered an auction not knowing the difference. If I win it its no big deal as I can hold on to it till I get a Pred. Engine.
Just need to know if I need to look for the 6619.

Is there another different type of flywheel I can use for higher RPM? Or am I limited to the billet type that ARC sells? Just wondering if there is a cheaper option. Thanks!

Last edited:
Score!
while looking for rockers I found an ebay auction with no reserve. ARC billet stock lenght rod w/ARP bolts and bearings, max stroke crankshaft and bearings. All for $60. Same guy selling billet flywheel $50.
Got all of it coming..goodbuy governor.

Wow! What's the sellers name for that flywheel? Of course if he has more for sale.

N-gin

Do they have automotive style keepers for stock valves? Or do I need the stainless?

delray

if you go with the automotive style keepers and retainers , yes you will need the correct valves

answer is no, they don't make them for the stock valves.....