clone build tips?

I'm gonna build up a clone flywheel/rod/flattop piston cam everything ...I was wondering if y'all have any tips or tricks on installing thes parts

Keep things clean as possible.

Take the time to measure and check everything more than twice.

Write a journal of what you did and why ( as much detail as possible so you can do it again or avoid it if needed ).

ask as many questions and research as much as you can BEFORE you do a thing

Only open the engine 1 time...so get all your parts then cracker her open:hammer: so that way you can re use your gasket:thumbsup:

Also, I wouldn't get a flywheel Unless you are gunna be turning those kind of rpms! Otherwise you can hold off til later an use the 100 bucks else where:bowdown:

Ok, all a fly wheel does is help acceleration and allows you to achieve higher rpms SAFELY..oh yeh an possibly saving u a bit on gas:laugh:.... And why not reuse a gasket? If its in good shape, I dab a little permamex gasket glue on the block to ensure a tight seal ..I do the same on the head :thumbsup:.. Here's a tip, buy some Assembly lube put a liberal amount on your rod bearings, Cam , and your lifters . That will help keep those bad boys from slipping out when u bump them while putting the cam in:thumbsup:.. Oh yeah ur gunna need a Piston head ring compressor..some use pop sickle sticks, i find the compressor works well...........also set your rings @ 12,6 ,9,3 on your piston. Oh damn almost forgot feeler gauge , get one to set your valve lash correctly depending on the cam you use could be different but set me at .003 .. That's after you put some big daddy valve springs in :smile: also if I was you I would buy a few headers not just 1 because you're gunna get different proformance on each pipe... And don't use a muffler lol let that baby Roar it's always a good thing when a motorcycle pulls up an you let them hear your rumble :thumbsup:

AndrewC

When you have 2 flat surfaces a new gasket will create a perfect seal. And as for reusing a head gasket, unless it's copper what are you thinking? If you want a hacks build yeah use lots of spooge reuse your gaskets and build an engine as ruff as guts, your choice.

No one uses lots.. I said dab that's a small amount .. An btw use your own judgement weather Or not to reuse, if it ain't cracked , blown out , or just plain old why not re use one? Lol........idk how they do things down under .. That's like saying well I'm gunna buy something I know I don't need..that's just Dumb!:doah: Question, do they even have mini bikes in Australia? :thefinger:

buckeye

A little harsh.:hammer:

Why not use a new gasket? Not like they are expensive or anything. :shrug:Geeezzz... Might as well.

Do they have mini bike here? Yes but they are not very common. A better question would be, do we have clone engines? The answer to that is yes.

My useful tip would be to buy a gasket set and not gasket in a bottle. Permatex has it's place on the right application but for me it would not be on a fresh engine rebuild.

For the price gaskets just buy a set and do the job once.

I hope when Motown reads his thread he realises the best way to go about things.

Coxy.

Last edited:
I did not see this thread getting hung up on gaskets.
Usualy its too cheap to buy billet or just a lot of newbie questions that have no real depth.

There are some advantages to buying a couple of sets of new gaskets.
For one thing if you shop around and research things you can find there are several different thicknesses of head and case gaskets.
This can be real handy when setting up your engines quench and crank end play.

On the subject of used gaskets.
I confess to having recycled a lot of gaskets over the years.
The steel chinese OEM gasket will often seal up a second time ( and often third and fourth.... ) as long as the engine is running at reasonable cylinder presures.
Beyond that its a crap shoot.
New engines have new gaskets in them.
When you build an engine from new all of the gaskets stand a good chance of not giving you any trouble at all ( but be prepared ).

Some places offer premium gaskets.
Burris has some nice coated steel gaskets that can be reused many times on SA engines without much trouble.

A gasket thats clearly been compressed heated and taken a set on the crank case cover will not be used again.
Have those spares ready so you can do it right.

If you want to save a pile of money, here's another idea.

Get a set of hole punches, an exacto-knife & a sheet of paper gasket material (of the appropriate thickness & composition, of course). You probably already have a pencil to use anyway, pen & thin sharpie work great too.

I make my own gaskets, they work great.

Want to copy a stock gasket? Pull it off, trace it out, punch, cut, dab a little sealant on there, voila. Works great.

If it's a cost issue, I understand that 110% for some folks, I'm not doing so well right now financially, but I still make do with what I have.

That, and every saved penny goes to upgrades. :grind:

Thanks for some of the tips ...I already have a flywheel and everything to keep my family Jewel's safe lol as far as gaskets go I have all new ones I could reuse them but ther so cheap no need to ...im waiting to get some new rod bearings and ill be getting started any break in tips like oil and such

If you want to save a pile of money, here's another idea.

Get a set of hole punches, an exacto-knife & a sheet of paper gasket material (of the appropriate thickness & composition, of course). You probably already have a pencil to use anyway, pen & thin sharpie work great too.

I make my own gaskets, they work great.

Want to copy a stock gasket? Pull it off, trace it out, punch, cut, dab a little sealant on there, voila. Works great.

If it's a cost issue, I understand that 110% for some folks, I'm not doing so well right now financially, but I still make do with what I have.

That, and every saved penny goes to upgrades. :grind:
+1 I do that all the time! I have the hole punches, X-actos, and several rolls of different types and thicknesses of gasket material on hand (cork, neoprene, paper). I even have new in the box gasket sets that anytime I need one, I pull it out and copy it and then put it back in the box, lol. Then again I'm cash poor and time rich, some folks might be the other way around? :thumbsup: