Clone upgrade path

I was doing some surfing on AGK's website and my wallet started to ache.

I was thinking about doing some mild upgrades as outlined on their site.

I already have a custom exhaust on my DB, so I was thinking of adding the following.

Air filter kit
#90 fuel jet
Governor removal
4deg advance Honda flywheel
Cyl head from a GX160 (I already have this from a partial motor I purchased for $15)
18lb valvesprings
1.2 ratio rockers

Anything else you guys can recommend... or talk me out of?
Any idea what fuel I would use with this setup? Would 93 octane be enough for the higher compresson and advanced timing?

Thanks,

Mike

That's my opinion as well
Most likely he still doesn't know clearly how things work when modifying a motor.
Without getting into a pissing match, I know my way around an engine.

What I am wondering is if there are simple things I can do to this engine to increase it's power without the need to rev the motor to the point where durability is a concern.

Specifically, would raising the compression increase power below gov speed, where the bike would accelerate better, or allow me to use a shorter sproket? In theory, it should. I just wanted to ask a friendly person with experience if it actually works.

To me, it's the difference between some free, or nearly free upgrades, or spending $300+ dollars on an $89 engine.

if you want to make some power and go fast, it's going to cost money. leaving the governor in really limits how fast you can go and doesn't let you use the power that is available after 3600rpm. you have to remember that speed is about gearing and rpm when it comes to minibikes.

if you just want more top speed out of it, remove the gov, get a billet rod, 18lb springs and a smaller rear sprocket (i'm running around 44mph with the stock 70t rear). that will easily get you to 40+mph and costs about as much as the Honda flywheel. it won't be that fast, but probably fast enough for not spending too much money.

Thank you.

Can the billet rod be used on the original piston?

Would it be more cost effective to start out with a genuine Honda GX200 for $300?

Last edited:

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Thank you.

Can the billet rod be used on the original piston?

Would it be more cost effective to start out with a genuine Honda GX200 for $300?
Yes, the billet rod works with everything being the same.
The clone works if your not going crazy on the motor.

If you want more speed just change your gearing. If you want more power that is gonna cost you a lot more. But remember once you buy it, you don't have to worry about it any more.