Clone With charging coil

Anyone have a source to buy a 6.5 clone with a charging coil without electric starter,want to run lights on a project I am building,dont want to pay for the electric start option,you use to be able to buy briggs and tech motors with light or charging coils ,but seem to hard to fine anymore,even thought to contact a chinese builder to order ten to twenty 6.5 clones with just the light coils and then possibly sell them to other members if any interest in them,If you buy in bulk from china FOB*free on board* the price comes way down,I know the baja replacment engines have this option but are way to high in price,thanks for help.:shrug::shrug::shrug:

1 amp is 12 watts
3 amp is 36 watts
6 amp is 72 watts (dual 3 amps)
10 amp is 120 watts (dual 5 amps only available in this configuration)

I think the only setups the clones have are the above.

So you are looking for a 7 amp setup if you want 84 watts

Amps X Volts = Watts

Also these coils are not intended to see rpms over 4,000 rpms. If you spin them over 4,000 rmps you will blow light bulbs. These are also A/C voltage so on a regular bulb they will be fine but will not work with LED or HID setups. You would need a A/C to D/C converter or custom built diode setup (cheap to make).

Last edited:
They make an 84 watt coil for lighting without the need of a battery also,Any of these out there for sale?
NR Racing NR RACING sells the 84 watt coils for $200.00 and the flywheel for $110.00,so for $300.00 you can have lights,which is absurd since I can buy clone with electric start and charging coils for $200.00 with free shipping,guess that is what I will have to do .

6.5 electric start with charging coils

Talked to rep at harbor freight about selling 6.5 clone with electric start with charging coils,he said he will pass on the info to harbor freight purchasing about getting them in the stores ,they will come from the same supplier in china,there cost about $55.00 a piece,may-be they would sell them between$129.00 to $159.00 each retail and with a coupon would be a good deal,would be a cool if in a few weeks or mounths they would start showing up in stores,who knows at least it was worth a try.:scooter:

Did find this on e-bay,still seems a little pricey for a clone.
caroll stream motor company-$199.00 free shippinghttp://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-6-5HP-Gas-Engine-Electric-Start-Side-Shaft-6-5-HP-/170560225670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b62e8186

Last edited:
As soon as I get time and some back iron out of an old electric motor I am going to spin up an external charging coil for the GX ( and make easy to duplicate step by step directions ).

I've come to the conclusion the only practical longer term solution for me at least is to replace the ignition completely and use the mounting for a large charge coil. I think I could squeeze 3 amps out of single coil and thats just enough to run a GY6 DC CDI pack and a small ( read very small ) LED head lamp. Higher RPM IS your friend in this sittuation because thats the only way such a small coil would be able to suply any power ( a battery back up for ignition and a blocking diode to the head light to ensure idled engines don't kill their battery