Clutch, Chains and Sprockets info needed...

It appears that the typical mini bike uses #35 chain and sprockets but is limited on the sprocket size. I don't see them being less than 60 teeth. Clutch sprockets are like 12, 13 teeth etc. This seems to practical for most 3.5 HP engines.

Would that be a reason to go with a #40 / 41 chain with matching sprockets and clutch especially if you want to go with a rear sprocket less than 60 teeth?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,
Mike

MB165

i think.....the larger chain size will have less teeth, but the diameters would remain the same, a 60 tooth in #35 might only need to be 50 tooth in 41/420.

if you want a smaller rear sprocket consider a jackshaft ot

Havasu Dave,

What are the pros and cons of going from #35 to #40 or #41?
As I looked at the chains it would seem to be better to go with a heavier chain. But I don't know if it is a detriment or a plus going that direction.

Too bad they don't have a setup using a belt like on motorcycles. LOL

Havasu Dave,

What are the pros and cons of going from #35 to #40 or #41?
As I looked at the chains it would seem to be better to go with a heavier chain. But I don't know if it is a detriment or a plus going that direction.

Too bad they don't have a setup using a belt like on motorcycles. LOL
From my point of view, all of the chains have the required strength for the average mini bike. What I like about the 40 series is that they're wider, which gives a bit more wiggle room on alignment. They also have less tendency to twist, but the Gold chains in 35 work well too.

You can change clutch sprockets. I just had a custom made Max Torque done up by Jim Donovan with a 35 chain and 10 teeth. (Two stroke application) As far as the rear sprockets, availability has more to do with bolt alignment per bike type, than with number of teeth.

Where size and application issues prevent attaining a desired gear ratio, there is the jack shaft option. Fixes alignment problems and allows use of shorter chain sections and swing arm suspensions too. (I like JS) There is also the TAV option which gives you centrifugal driver gear ratio, and torque-sensing rear driven ratio all at the same time. This belt application is then transmitted to the rear sprocket via chain drive. No reason a belt pulley couldn't be used with a bit of fabrication.

Just a couple of thoughts- all of these options are mostly dependent upon the type of bike. I am not the expert, just posting what I've learned along the way.

Motra

The tensile strength between the different sizes varies considerably. Go to the Wikipedia page here Roller chain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and scroll down to the chart, you'll see that the tensile strength of the #40 is nearly double that of the #35, and the #41 is even less than the #35.

Like Dave said, the high performance gold #35 chains (sold at OldMiniBikes Warehouse) probably have a higher tensile strength than the standard industrial chains shown on the chart, and #420 motorcycle chain is the size as #41 industrial but has a much higher tensile strength (like 4000 to 5000 lbs. compared to 1500 lbs. of #41).

Motra

Tensile strength is one of the factors used in deciding which chain to use. But this bit from Diamond explains how TS, WLL, HP and diameter of sprockets determine which chain to use. Tensile strength in of itself doesn't mean as much as WLL in a mini bike or kart application from what I read.

Diamond Technical Corner - Knowledge Base | Diamond Chain
Good info, Dave! Thanks for sharing. My concern with chain selection is that there are major variations in chain load on a motorized vehicle. Plus the chain is subjected to huge shock loads on an off-road vehicle. It's not like a conveyor that has a fairly constant load applied. Tote-Gote type bikes nearly always had #50 final drive chains which seems pretty robust, especially with a 3 HP engine. I'm looking at using #40 on mine and hoping that it's sufficient. Not sure how to do the load variation calculations since I forgot to go to engineering school.

All of this info is great!

Thanks guys for the input. I think I am going with the #40. I will post how it turns out after I am finished with the build.

Mike