Clutch/ torque convertor for 6.5hp clone

Hi guys. I'm ordering a 6.5hp clone on money to start my mini bike project. Just wondering if I should use a centrifugal clutch, or a torque convertor. I've only had experience with centrifugal clutches, never torque convertors. I've tried to search but can't really find the pros and cons of each. Eventually I will be wanting to modify the engine.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mainly just on the street. Nothing in the bush. The engine will be standard to start with, but will defiantly modify it eventually.

Cammo88, on each of my three current minibikes I have distinctly different drive systems: a straight 11t clutch to 60t rear sprocket on one, a 12t clutch with PMR bolt on jackshaft (13/15t - 72t rear sprocket) on another, and a Comet TAV on the third. I ride streets in a moderately hilly area and they all run superb. Generally my preference is for the performance of clutches, I like the freer, unrestricted feel of them over the more torquey TAV. It's not an endorsement of one system over others cos I like'em all. Clutches just seem 'more minibike' to me.

I'm using Max-Torque Box Stock/Clone clutches upgraded to the heavier wedge shoes, which are grabbier than the standard shoes. I couldn't be happier. Good luck and welcome to OldMiniBikes!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply jb rocks. I ordered the engine today, might just stick to a centrifugal clutch to start with and see how I like it. I don't remember my mini bike from when I was a kid very well to remember what it was like. The only thing I have to compare to is my daughters 49cc quad which doesn't move me very well.

Cool! I arrived at my clutch/gearing combinations after conversations with Jim Donovan at Max-Torque Clutch. I went with 11t clutch (to 60t rear sprocket) to get a little more 'low end' pickup with minimal effect on top speed. I still hit 40-41mph. I used a 12t clutch with the PMR jackshaft, great out of the hole (very interesting feel to it by the way!) and top speed of 43.6 mph by GPS. Engines are identical, both light modded (intakes, air filter, header) and run great!:thumbsup: