clutch tuning question

Don,
I don't have a governor on any bike I have!...BUT, I build them to take the rpm's with billet components. I applaud G_M for trying to make some power out of this engine, but you of anybody here knows that there is "no replacement for displacement"...right? you didn't try to run a 2.3 when everyone else is at 5 litres,,,right?
I ran a 2.3 Ford at 9k rpm every Sat night at Evergreen Speedway for a couple years... Makes good power up there.
I did show genuine concern his well being and tried to make sure that no one twisted the throttle on the bomb!
I understand where your comment is placed. He is not trying for 7k+ rpms out of it, but yes, more than stock.

I think G_M is a bit misguided, and wants us to agree with him and cheer him on...so I am going to do just that! But I want some pics! Fair enough?
I am not cheering him on. I am trying to help him though. I have already asked him for pics.

G_M...that engine will rev to the moon! Don't worry about the clutch, not much you can do to them, as once they are locked there is no balancing needed...and more power will get you locked up quicker. Another member has a Mikuni carb in the for sale section...that would give you airflow required to reach your goals...parts are plentiful and cheap.
I am sending him a carb and intake, and possibly a jackshaft setup(if it will fit) to help with the hill issue.
Let's see a pic of your ride! I don't know too many minis that won't accomodate a Pred 212 motor.
Do you need any parts? If so, please let me know...if I have it, I will send it!
He needs help. Can we actually provide something constructive?

My engine is not on a mini, it's on a bicycle. It will cruise above 30 mph, and my desire is not to go faster but to climb hills better. The engine does not take up the whole space of the frame, but no matter what angle I try to put the motor mount at, I always run into carb clearance issues with the seat tube. Hence stangr's custom intake. It will allow me to mount a carb away from the frame. I do believe that a properly tuned carb will get me just north of 6k, and this will allow me to change my gearing from 12.44:1 to 13.78:1. I am also planning to eventually switch to a frame with thicker tubing and downsize to 24" wheels. I've got a Yamaha brake drum off a 1975 dirtbike that I'm planning to lace into a 24" wheel for my front wheel. I will be adding a disc brake to my jackshaft hub for an emergency brake (only because the yamaha drum will be more than adequate for normal stopping and others who have done the jackshaft disc brake say they grab extremely hard, probably due to the gearing advantage). So as I've said, I'm shooting for just north of 6k. I like to cruise, not rip. The gearing change will consist of upsizing my rear sprocket from a 44t to a 48t. This should give me better climb as well as smoother takeoff. I'm working with the clutch in the meantime to do what I can. A washer costs like 50 cents, so it's not an expensive modification and if it works it may become permanent. I will service the clutch periodically and inspect the washer for wear. If/when it becomes worn, I can replace it. I understand that once the clutch is fully engaged, it is balanced. But it is not balanced until it is fully locked. Having it pre-balanced may help or it may not. For a 50 cent washer, it's worth a shot.

CarPlayLB

Dude! Why didn't ya tell us that from the start?

Have ya considered an old chainsaw motor? They are very lightweight, can rev to the moon, and give decent power. There are also lots of old snowblower engines on eBay...the Tecumseh ones are cheap. One of the messages that was maybe misinterpreted was the the little Lifan motor does not have any aftermarket support and is not a great candidate for upgrades. We don't want you throwing good after after a bad idea...that is all.
...and we don't want to see you get hurt...you probably won't believe me now, but are all about a good time here!

I tend to take things with a grain of salt, but I also defend my goals and wishes. I'm not mad and not taking anything personally, just trying to get a teensy bit more out of an engine that's been pretty good to me thus far. When you're revving the crap out of a tiny engine with 12" wheels, I get the concern of the flywheel. 6k with bicycle wheels ain't pushing the engine that hard. I didn't say anything about it being a bicycle because I didn't want to get flamed out of the forum. Kinda silly now maybe. I've had this engine for a little while and I'm happy with it except for not having quite as much torque as I would like. A tuned carb should change that by adding enough power to be able to lower the gearing. I was considering a 79cc predator, but I like the look of this engine better and I think it was through a conversation with stangr that it occurred to me to up the power and lower the gearing. Kinda kicked myself for not thinking of it before. But yall have a good night. I gotta hit it.

Thing is, I already have all the parts I need for this engine. It's driveable as-is. The way to my job is completely flat, I could keep it like this and get back and forth to work no problems. But I want to build something a little better, with fat tires, cross between bobber and cafe-ish kinda.

trinik7597

For those that don't know, seems this applies to everyone, his frame will not take a Predator.

Not enough room without major mods. This is in the DB section because he has a DB motor.

He is making do with what he has and very limited budget. I applaud him for at least trying.

Why does this forum beat down the new guy that doesn't do what you want?
i was not beating anybody down for trying i was actually trying to help him . nowhere did he say this was on a bike or space was an issue . and removing the governor and talking about it with out proper mods is a nono so i did not even touch that .

fistfullabar

waste of time and money

this is why you should not modd this engine it is NOT well made this damage was from riding WITH the governor intact :scared:
better shots of the "clone" and the real deal it was "cloned" from

this honda has taken a beating from 3 riders 2 adults and 1 child it wont die real deal honda is where it is at

Last edited:
I went to home depot and got a fiber washer that is. 062" thick to replace the stock fiber washer that is less than half as thick. This will definitely take up some of the play. I may even use the replacement washer and the stock washer together. All the discussion about other modifications is really off topic. I started this thread asking about clutch tuning/balancing, nothing more. Whatever else I choose to do to my engine/bike is my business.

Are you good at reading? I have the pdf manuals for both the DB30 engine and the 79cc engine. I do know how to research and compare. DB30 maximum torque, 2.8 ft/lbs @ 2500 rpms. 79cc predator max torque, 3.5 ft/lbs @ 2500 rpms. Matter of fact, are you good at math? I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. I'm asking those with information pertaining to MY questions to share it. No one that's commented in this thread so far has shared any information that is useful to my endeavors. I've got a custom intake and carb coming from a very gracious member who actually wants to help me do what I want to do, not what everyone else is telling me to do. And I don't know how pics are gonna show the benefits of a tuned carb, open exhaust and lower gearing. I'm not recording a video either. For the record, I wasn't promoting the removal of the governor nor the modifying of a stock engine. Someone asked me how I was getting 5k out of this motor, I simply told him the governor had been removed when I got the engine.
well if your good at it then you would know that maximum torque peaks at the rated 2500 rpm's. no matter how much rpm you spin it it will not change that. you will need to spend money on things that will increase the torque of your engine. compression and displacement are those things,how much will that cost?
how much torque increase do you think you can make by bolting on something's? 50% gain,100%? even at 100% the most you will get is 7 ft/lbs. the 212cc is 8.1 ft/lbs for $120 bucks reliable HP. again how much are you planning to spend?

Please sir, any discussion pertaining to modification of the engine is off topic. I started this thread to ask questions about getting my clutch to run smoother. Any more discussion of modifications and I'll ask the mods to close this thread.

fistfullabar

Please sir, any discussion pertaining to modification of the engine is off topic. I started this thread to ask questions about getting my clutch to run smoother. Any more discussion of modifications and I'll ask the mods to close this thread.
yeah mods close this pointless thread:thumbsup:

Way back on page one, I recommended replacing the bushing. It's less than $4 and the part that fails on these.

Well, I put the clutch back together with the thick fiber washer yesterday. I haven't ridden the bike yet, but I did start it in place and give it some gas. The clutch did engage when I gave it gas. I have yet to see how it will engage under load. I will let you all know how it goes.

Well, I fired the bike up in the alley behind my house, hopped on and gave her some gas. Clutch engagement is very smooth so far. I only went a few feet, but there was no chattering at all. I went up the alley, stopped and turned around and putted back towards my house. The clutch was smooth the entire time. In a few minutes I'm leaving to do a speed run and when I get back I'll do a plug chop. Let you all know how everything goes later on.

Well, the speed run didn't pan out due to a fuel flow issue, but the clutch engaged very smoothly. I took off from dead stops with no need to push, and the clutch did not chatter at all whatsoever. It looks like that thick fiber washer did the trick.

The clutch did operate much more smoothly for a while, but it started chattering again. Oiling helps some, but not always. I have already ordered a replacement bushing, and am also considering ordering heavier shoes if they're in stock when I get paid again. I do think the bushing is worn out.

So here is an update. I replaced the bushing and kept it well lubed, but clutch engagement was not as smooth as I would like sometimes. So I ordered the wedge shoes from comet kart sales. They got here today. I started with all 6 wedge shoes, but the clutch was engaging way too early and chattering badly. So I alternated, every other shoe heavy, every other shoe regular. The clutch engages around 2500 or 2600. This is optimal engagement for pedal assisting (remember, this is on a bicycle). The total weight of the stock shoes is 276 grams. The total weight of my shoes is 324 grams, so it's like the weight of another regular shoe added on basically. The clutch will engage on its own with very minimal slippage, but I accelerate a bit quicker by pedal assisting, and this is good because it should make it easier to pedal assist going up hill when necessary. So there you have it. This clutch works well with some assistance.

Thanks, I'm not buying a predator, at least not right now and if I do it will be a 79cc which supposedly makes 25 per cent more torque than the Lifan, probably due to having overhead valves. No 212 monster for me.
But a monster boy needs a monster engine! You're over 150lbs over the recommended weight that the bikes with those engines come with. Come on.

I never thought about alternating shoes, good idea, I may try sometime.

I did notice recently that the light shoes, which have less side area, tend to lay over (engage the edge of the shoe), and will wear a groove in the drum. So, I now favor the wedge shoes for that reason. Plus, my engines are making enough torque now so they don't need to slip the clutch as much as a stock engine.

I am slipping my clutches less now.