Coleman CT200u

I'm looking at the Coleman CT200 minibike. The same one that Cabalas had on sale on black Friday for $350. BJ's is selling them for $499.

Coleman CT200U Trail 200 Mini Bike (152435477 |) | BJ's Wholesale Club

Coleman CT200U Parts
some spec's

Displacement 196cc
Combustion Cycle 4-stroke
Bore and Stroke 68 x 54mm
Compression Ratio 8.5:1
Carburetor HUAYI P19 Rated Power 3.8kw @ 3600rpm
Rated Torque 11Nm @ 2500rpm
Idle Speed 1700 ± 150 rpm
Top Speed 20mph (32km/h)
Gear Ratio 10:1

my questions are;

1. The top speed seems very slow , am I going to be able to tweak this thing and get it ti go faster?
2. I see 250lb guys riding doodle bugs all the time, is the any reason to believe exceeding the weight limit by 50lbs will be an issue on this one?

buckeye

They both are basically the same bike.
I am not sure what ya can do to make it faster without spending money.
Speed costs brother.:laugh:

Last edited:
Not the type of bike your going to ride down the road -you may find its fast enough for the trails :shrug:
As for the weight rating, there are safety factors built in but I would expect breaks in the frame and burning out the clutch quicker.

For the money, I would go with the Coleman -just my opinion.

I have this bike - I got the one at Cabela's on black friday. Top speed out of the crate was 18.4 mph (GPS) with jackshaft and my 275lbs a$$. Single best upgrade is the Comet TAV30 (got mine from OldMiniBikes) Took a little work to fit it on but it now does 40 mph and still can pull wheelies, climb hills, etc.

Here is mine:

I have a Baja Warrior (MB200) and a DoodleBug (w/Predator 212cc). My brother has the Coleman ST200 and a Doodelbug (97cc w/ProMod jackshaft).

The main difference between the Baja and the Coleman is that the Baja has a front suspension. Brakes and drivetrain are the same between the two. You can get the Baja or Coleman up to about 30 mph by tweaking the stock setup without changing parts. I have also mounted some seat springs on the Baja, which gives me more comfort in the rear to go with the oil filled front shocks. The Coleman cannot compete in that department.

Had I known that the Colemen was going to come out, I would probably have skipped on the Doodlebug and the 212cc build. The longer wheelbase of the Coleman makes it much less quirky, particularly with 6.5hp.

Rider weight is not an issue with either large bike.

switch the gearing

where the two chains intersect their is a peice with two gears on it. one small and one large, if you take it off and flip if so the chains are on the other gears it will have a higher top speed and a lower acceleration. you need to remove the chain guard, two bolts, remove the master link on the back chain, yes it exists, then unscrew the peice with two sprockets on it and flip it. put the small chain on it and see how many links fit, it has to be tight but not too tight. if its loose itll crack your engine case and youll be screwed. with the back you put the chain on it and count how many links are needed based on how many bumps are on the sprocket. once you have your chain measurements take the chains to a motercycle place that cuts chains, ask them for chains with the correct amount of links, 20$ ish, put the chains on. put all the screws and the chain guard back as it was before. thats it. it seems complicated but it isnt. and if you know what your doing it takes 20 minutes to measure and 20 minutes to replace. aproximately.

did the tav2 bolt up to the factory bolt pattern of did you have to mod it ? your coleman looks orange mine is red but i like the camo one best.

Ok I looked up the comet tav30 and there is like four of them... I don't know the chain or bore the would fit my coleman ct200u can someone please help me

philbo

You can get the Baja or Coleman up to about 30 mph by tweaking the stock setup without changing parts.
Just curious, what tweaks can you do to get up to about 30mph without changing parts? Thanks! :thumbsup:

I only have experience with the Baja and just from looks I like the Baja as it looks like a little Harley Sportster (Ok, maybe I'm crazy... :eek:ut: ). I like the front forks and headlight setup. Not only are there front shocks but they look beefy, assuming that means strong, who knows...

The Coleman I saw before on craigslist before and it looked nice. It looks very utility friendly with the front and rear racks. The seat looks like it gives you more room to move around. The seat on the Baja basically makes you sit in one place so you can't slide forward or backward. That can be good or bad depending how tall you are.

It looks more like a mini bike than the Baja. Don't know of the quality of either. I do like the little fake gas/storage tank to hold stuff on the Baja, like a bag of chips cruising around! :laugh:

Pics to compare.

did the tav2 bolt up to the factory bolt pattern of did you have to mod it ? your coleman looks orange mine is red but i like the camo one best.
Had to use a 1/2 inch plate to raise the engine and cut a small part of the bike's floor plate to fit the TAV plate (or I could have trimmed the TAV plate I suppose), knowing what I know now I might have been able to get a TAV drive and driven and plugged them in on the factory jack shaft. And yes mine was camo but I had it powdered Chevy Orange. Camo wasn't for me on this one.

Ok I looked up the comet tav30 and there is like four of them... I don't know the chain or bore the would fit my coleman ct200u can someone please help me
I actually swapped with a Pred 212, and these bikes have been know to have slightly different clones come on them - but the shafts and sprockets I would imagine would all be the same. That said you need the 3/4 shaft and the 40/41 tooth for this bike. Link below is what you need from the best place to get it at the best price around...

http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/TAV2-3-4-Drive-10T-40-41-218353A.html

Last edited: