Comet clutch with needle bearing

Whats a needle bearing?

I want to get this comet clutch with needle bearings for my 4.5 mini bike..

Will it work well?

have any of you used this kind?

What is needle bearings?

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I have never seen a stock type clutch with needle bearings. There normally in race clutches only. I run them in my Tomar clutches. The needle bearing gears don't start until 14 tooth. Anything smaller will have a regular bronze bushing.

With Noram clutches the needle bearing gears start at 13 tooth.

I have a Comet 400 series clutch with a needle bearing. It's a pretty good clutch for a stock engine. Just don't overheat it (well, that's true with every clutch). Don't keep the clutch slipping for more than a few seconds because it will get hot very fast.

It supported the torque of my old 8hp flathead, so your 4.5hp should be just fine.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Man I forgot all about that clutch. I have a 1" bore comet clutch that only mounts outboard that has needle bearings in it. But I like the race stuff much better. Besides the race stuff is totally rebuildable and that means it will last forever.

delray

some of the old mecury clutch's had needle bearings

minidragbike,what are the web sites for the race clutchs and do they have good pic's and info on how to set-up them? have you ever use one on a stock engine with low horse power(3-5hp) do they engage smooth. disc clutchs? with springs?
:scooter:.....................

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Some engage smooth and some engage hard. I don't like the smooth engagement. I normally run high gearing, so I like the clutch to lock up hard. This allows less slipping, which is good to get my load moving fast.

There are just to many to really name. But the biggest companies are Horstman, Tomar, and Bully.

Yes, disc clutches with springs.

Needle bearings = higher quality product

Needle bearings are used by product manufacturers instead of bronze bushings in small-diameter bores where high RPM could cause galling.

The trick is to remember to clean and lubricate the bearings often...products containing needle bearings cost more and last longer when maintained properly.