Compression Springs?

I'm on the hunt for compression springs used in shocks/suspensions on these old minis. Taking a very rusted from end apart with heat, I unsprung the springs.

I also want to play around a bit and make a front end more usuable for my weight and the design of the front end.

Looking at OAL from 4 to 5 inches, OD of 1.5, wire diameter of around .18 to .20 with closed ends. No pitch data yet, but 10 coils per 4-5 inches is about right.

McMaster, Century, and of course Ebay haven't really given me what I am looking for. Any suggestions?

I see spring rates for motorcycles at around 4.5 kg/mm. According to my space map, that's around 250 lbs/inch. It's not possible to find the required physical dimensions at that rate.

I need some guidance as to mini bike application. For the most part, the best I've ever seen suspension-wise is a little bit of bounce, and "better than nothing" performance.

Maybe these?

OD (in) 1.500
ID (in) 1.250
Free Length (in) 4.590
Rate (lbs/in) 16.000
Sugg. Max Defl. (in) 2.600
Sugg. Max Load (lbs) 42.000
Solid Length (in) 1.310
Wire Dia. (in) 0.125
Total Coils 10.500

Dave, When I needed springs for the front forks and rear shocks on my Fox Campus restorations I ran into the same problems that you are encountering. That's when I decided to have new one custom made. Surprisingly, if you order 100 or more, having them made is not as expensive as one might think. However if you only need six or eight then the cost wouldn't be worth it. In any case it doesn't hurt to make a few calls and get some quotes. The following link will furnish you with some custom spring manufacturers in Arizona. Discover Custom Made Springs Suppliers near you in Arizona.. Hopefully, this might help. Ogy

Dave, I have these springs that I got from work. They are a valve spring from a gas pump, I have no idea what the spring rate is but they are roughly 1.25 od 1.00 id and 5 7/8 long and like 16 coils and the coils are about 1/16th(I don't want to trek through the rain and mud to get my caliper :doah:) I got them for free so if you want to try them you can have them for free :thumbsup: just PM me your address and I will mail them out tomorrow.

Dave, I have these springs that I got from work. They are a valve spring from a gas pump, I have no idea what the spring rate is but they are roughly 1.25 od 1.00 id and 5 7/8 long and like 16 coils and the coils are about 1/16th(I don't want to trek through the rain and mud to get my caliper :doah:) I got them for free so if you want to try them you can have them for free :thumbsup: just PM me your address and I will mail them out tomorrow.
Thank you so much for the nice gesture. I will take some measurements and see if they would work and get back to you. :thumbsup:

I got them for free so if you want to try them you can have them for free :thumbsup: just PM me your address and I will mail them out tomorrow.
Harleys Papa, thanks again for that offer! You are one of the many kind and generous people here.

I am going to pass on your offer because I am not sure what the heck I am doing, and where this needs to end up. I know there's something I need to do with the stock front end, but what? LOL. I don't want to waste a freebie on a maybe and an experiment.

Thanks again, sincerely.

Dave, When I needed springs for the front forks and rear shocks on my Fox Campus restorations I ran into the same problems that you are encountering. Hopefully, this might help. Ogy
Thank you for that information Ogy. Once I destroyed the front end I just bought trying to dismantle it, I figured it'd be better to build one from scratch, and maybe build two or three to sell for millions of dollars. LOL. It's a basic system, but I am lacking on a couple of tools to neatly and quickly deal with the plate. (A band saw, and a larger step bit at a minimum)

Computing the prices, I'd never make millions, and would have a hard time breaking even. lol, thanks for the information.

Hey Dave,
go to this eBay listing # 330674082596

I bought one and it is very nice
:thumbsup: Yes indeed, it is nice and I saw that one. It's too stiff though, and would mean the tubing bending before the spring gave. Thanks for the link!