Copper 8hp

I had always wanted to build a motor with the old briggs copper color that was popular in the 70's. On the 'oldminibikes' forum, I heard about the Rustoleum High Temp Ultra 'Aged Copper' paint. I tried it and this is the result. The paint was thin and required several thin coats to make it turn out. It would run very easily if you got too much. I think the color is a good match for the 70's paint.

First off, Nice job. Second, do you work for FEMA? You watch the X-files? You always have a bag of the Hantavirus laying around. Third, you have the strangest wall art.

That paint is the closest "rattlecan" match to the original B & S that I am aware of.:thumbsup: The downside, however, is that it is not an "engine paint" and as such is not the least bit gas resistant and will dissolve immediately if you spill gas on it. :eek:hmy:(We tested it)

Last edited:
We usually name our motors to keep parts separate. We named this one 'hanta-virus' because the carb was full of mouse crap when we took it apart. Thus, a bag labeled hanta-virus. I wondered how the paint would hold up to gas.

Scottessey

We are going to try a plasi-kote clear engine enamel to try to protect the paint. Thank you, Creia, for pointing this out before we had a disaster.
Let me know how the clear holds up. I used the Rustoleum on mine and the color is great. I still haven't put gas in mine and would be stoked to hear if there is a fix before I do. Thanks for the warning, Creia. :thumbsup:

No problem guys- glad to be of help.:wink: The Ruppster and I were originally hoping to use that exact paint on some engines he was refurbishing. Just to be sure, we tried it out first on a spare metal fender we had, after preping and priming it. Waited a week letting it cure, however when we poured gas on it immediately started to dissolve:no: the paint, and wiping off the gas only made things (alot) worse.:doah: Please post your results after the plasi-kote treatment, as I am sure MANY of us would like to know.