Copper stripping

flpmurphy

Don't know how many of you do this but i would get a stripper like one in pic. This stripper paid for itself in about an hr. Use to do it by hand and it sucked.

Last edited:
There's a neet machine.
How does that work?

I am still doing it by hand.
But on a good day with a sharp blade I can do around 50 pounds an hour with cable in the #6 o 2/0 range. Bigger or smaller slows me down.
More than a few hours at a time is just too hard on the hands.

A machine though.....
Thats the ticket.

Can it do short peices, and ends?
How does it do with bent and straightend cable?

Oldsalt

A friend that lives in Fresno CA tells me that the old street lights that have the cast iron base with the access hole are often opened and a rope tied onto the wires WHILE THEY ARE HOT and when attached to a car a lot of wire is pulled out. One sign in Fresno I'm told states that all the copper wire in the unoccupied building has already been stolen so please don't break and enter. Here in Walla Walla, and possibly the whole state, the scrap yards will not buy copper wire that has had the insulation burned off. I guess our low life friends will have to pool there dope and beer money to buy one of them machines.

Copper theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in South Africa, these guys cut through live three phase cables carrying thousands of volts with an axe and gloves. The axe head literally disitegrates and melts away.
Still theres good money in copper if you know where to look for it, second had dealers sometime sell broken machines with plenty of wiring in.
We don't have street lights here we just have poles in the ground with bulbs fitted to the top of them:laugh:

I'm always striping wire... but that guy would have to be pretty cheap to pay for itself at the rate I acquire scrap. Lets see a video of it working!

flpmurphy

When I get home from work I post more info. The stripper was 2200 bucks but payed for order in a he. We usually strip 5 to 10000 thousand in a a 10th day with it

Wow.
I never scavanged that much in my life....

If I am lucky a couple times a year I might have 100 pounds of copper.

Not sure where you are getting all that wire but excellent work.

There is not much theft of copper up here I have noticed.
Not near as bad as Oldsalt has sugested.
But people have stollen things I am aware of like a grounding grid at a substation not far from here.
Thats the stuff that scares me.
You never know what they are cutting into and worse still they risk creating a dangerous condition for everyone else who relies on that.

I just scavange.
Scrap motors, Scrap steel copper brass and what ever I can find...
Washing machines and dryers on the side of the raod are an excellent source of steel for a guy like me lol.
Just wish things were lighter....

flpmurphy

Yea crazy people stealing copper just hurts people. Unfortunately I have a full time job through the week. I work for a guy who buys abandon warehouses up around ohio. We either gut them or renovate them. Im luck to find this kinda work that pays great.

flpmurphy

Thats just crazy. We are working in a couple different places in cincinnati and we went and looked at a building in dayton but it has been gutted. Why people steal is crazy cant they just go get a job.

This is easier as long as you don't get caught. I got stories about bust where I work but you don't talk about them. My first day on the job 33 years ago was told that you don't steal especially wire, fuel and money. And I have seen many people get walked off the property because of it.

1. drill a hole in a piece of scrap 2X4 to fit the wire your stripping.
2. cut 2X4 in half at the centerline of said hole.
3. clamp halves in a vice with a razor installed at the desired depth to cut sheathing of wire to be stripped.
4. pass wire through hole to cut away insulation

this method takes a little longer im sure but it uses stuff you probably have at home and costs next to nothing.