Correct spelling of...

All three are good, it depends on the use. How much clarity is required? In the early days of it’s use as a noun, capitalized and hyphenated to “glue” the two words together would have been used to help clarify things to a reader.
I like em all, I must, cause I just bought a rode hard and put away wet Sears Runabout with busted-off handlebars. But, it’s got a hemi!
Good question!
Hope this helps, grammatically yours,
Steve

1971_MB1A

I have found that when you are doing a search and you spell it "mini bike" it usually brings up lots of pedal bikes too so I usually just go with "minibike".

I would take a close look at the folks that coined the name. Michrina brothers and family, including Troy Ruttman. And others directly involved that I have omitted.
Please excuse any spelling errors, my auto-correct has the hiccups,
Who is the Forum Historian?
Hope this helps,
Steve

"Mini Bike" is the "correct' answer as far as initial use and coining the phrase.

From the Taco/Steens site, and referenced here in OldMiniBikes before:

"In March 1960 Rod and Custom’s new product section “Auto Mart” highlighted the Viper Cycle. This might be the first time the name Mini Bike is used to describe this new hobby in print."

Note that R&C's Editor Lynn Wineland was heavily involved in "mini bikes" after they became popular enough to grace the magazine.

Note that Charles' magazine was dated in November of that year, so while Wineland used the term "mini bike," the hyphen on the cover could have been artistic license, but it wasn't the first time the term was used. Anyone got something earlier than March 1960?

The first "mini bike" on the "mini bike" craze, not including scooters, or paratrooper two wheeled bikes, or anything Leonardo Divinici built out of oak was the Bug Flea. It beat the Go Kart Mini Cycle out the door by a week. This was in 1958 when both the Go Kart Co. and Bug Engineering had been neighboring competitors with the race karts.

I've also heard the Ruttman/Michrina theories. Neither built bikes before 1958, (1959 Michrina) and Ruttman's earlier bike was referred to as a scooter. But that is a discussion for "first mini bike" not first use of the term, nor correct spelling.

From a purely phonetic aspect, it would have been two words, etymology and all that. It's never been one word, but you have to use it when searching for sales on line of course.

Thanks Dave, glad you saw this. Thanks to the OP, this stuff is important. Nuttin wrong with gettin it rite!
Steve
You're welcome Steve. The discussion has been raised here several times over the years.

Boolean: An Ebay search of minibike -plate -seat with "used" clicked yields 565 hits, while "mini bike" -plate -seat with "used" clicked yields 2001 hits, so I'll continue to refer to them as "mini bike" just like Lynn Wineland did 58 years ago. The issue is settled, and has been for nearly six decades. :laugh:

Gatecrasher

The correct spelling is "Minibike".

"Minicycle" is the correct spelling for that variation.

The reasoning behind whether or not to use hyphenation is the root term used. The root term used in "minicycle" is motorcycle. It is not "cycle". So the derived term becomes a new word rather than a hyphenation. The hyphenated version would be "mini-motorcycle".

The root term for minibike is "motorbike" not just bike. So the derived term becomes a new word too rather than a hyphenation. Again the correct hyphenated term would be "mini-motorbike".