Could this be a Powell Phantom 7 ?

I was wondering the same thing and was going to call him this weekend. Well....he beat me to it and called me this afternoon. He said he's had a pinched nerve in his neck(or shoulder...anyway it hurts) and it flares up when he sits at the computer:doah:

I told him it was an involuntary reaction that his pocket-book is sending out to keep him from buying stuff:no:

Hopefully he feels better soon:thumbsup:

:confused: george that would be the 6 million dollar question. :confused:
There is info out there somewhere on that. I can't remember the details, but remember talking about it years ago before there was ever an Oldminibikes.com

Of course you know there's a difference in the mechanism that holds the shifter right? One is more like a spring, the other looks to be plastic or something. I think the letter is different on these different models if I remember right.

Cha Ching
Thats the sound of money in the bank!!
I've got a line on a sweet 5hp copper B&S complete with clutch cover and quick release throttle:thumbsup:
Just gettin the funds together

Mac

Blue frame below is # 5697-H

Reddish frame below is # 4957-E

My Phantom ? frame # below is destroyed:

Dirty, no good, sorry, scum of the earth, rotten so and so's.

george3

Well the internet is a wonderful thing that has brought all us mini bike nuts together to share our fun of times past and present. One thing the internet has failed to do is to provide records of the Powell mini bikes great history . The Powell Phantom had done just that as to be a true Phantom it's supply of parts and information remain hidden from all of the people in the know that and view the Powell as one of the best mini bikes ever built. It's not a mini bike for the real little kids but will provide lots of fun for all sizes of riders for so many years.
I have in front of me a Manufactures Statement of Origin to a Motor Vehicle
It came with a Powell that I bought and sold in my Store I bought it from the factory in July of 1972 it was a Model J and has a Serial # 7251-J it was a 7 HP and was sold to D&D Mini Bike and was signed by Dorothy Powell
I also have the same Mini Bike Guide article from 1969 and I bought that off e-bay. I must confess a very sad occurrence that I am guilty of . In 1987 I was moving from one house to another and I made the dumb decision to throw away two Powell mini bikes frames and some wheels into the dump in Hillsboro, Or for this surly some day I will forgive myself . But passably not.
I hope that from this you can passably decipher the year and date of the Powell that you have . the first two numbers should be the year and the other following numbers should be the production number. just remember these Powells were made by senior citizens in this era and their production numbers were lower than some company's . The Powell's were very nice people to visit their place and their was never a rush , rush environment there . Hope this helps Steve Durham

george3

Mine is the same model as your red one monte 3177-D I am guessing the D is the model or type they both are a D. seems rite to me, steve said the month. I dont so but could be.

In all my price sheets there is different models the early bikes were called the Challengers they were the ones with the gear shift arm and the rocking motor plate. most of these came with the 5 HP Briggs and had the Powell clutch system and the plastic belt guard.
Then came the Challenger's with the Tecumseh engines and one February 1970 sales sheet showed a 4 HP engine and it had lights and a shift lever called a Neutral selector and had a belt drive with advertised ratio's of 16-1 to 6-1 and used the plastic type belt guard this model was called the Powell Challenger II and sold for $215.00
About 1972 when I became a Powell dealer they made the change to the Comet cat 99 torque converter and the stamped metal belt guard.
The next was the Super Challengers Model M came with a 3 1/2 HP Tecumseh engine with spark arrester and 2 quart tank. and list price was $179.00 and the L model with the 5 HP Tecumseh sold for $199.00
Then the Phantom 7 bike was brought out with the Tecumseh engine and a 1 gallon tank and it sold for $225.00 and then the Street legal JL model came out with the 7 HP Tecumseh engine and all the things required to make it street legal in California such as front brake, fenders, horn, mirror and of course a head light with high and low beam and a brake light . A battery was required to maintain full lighting while engine was idling .
I had one of these JL bikes and it was a real kick to ride all over Long Beach, California this of course id the most rare of all the Powell bikes and my hope is to some day find the barn full of Powell's and have the money to buy them all.
Steve :scooter:

george3

bayareas, powells. Red serial # 5255-E, Blue serial # 6971-MO and monty, powells, Red serial # 3220 - D, Black serial # 5333 - F macs powells 5697-H, 5697-H, and my powell 3177-D

george3

montys, black one, and bayareas red one are a close one. my powell and montys red one are the same model the numbers are close and the same letter D. You need to find the differences between montys, black one, and bayareas red one.

Well the internet is a wonderful thing that has brought all us mini bike nuts together to share our fun of times past and present. One thing the internet has failed to do is to provide records of the Powell mini bikes great history . The Powell Phantom had done just that as to be a true Phantom it's supply of parts and information remain hidden from all of the people in the know that and view the Powell as one of the best mini bikes ever built. It's not a mini bike for the real little kids but will provide lots of fun for all sizes of riders for so many years.
I have in front of me a Manufactures Statement of Origin to a Motor Vehicle
It came with a Powell that I bought and sold in my Store I bought it from the factory in July of 1972 it was a Model J and has a Serial # 7251-J it was a 7 HP and was sold to D&D Mini Bike and was signed by Dorothy Powell
I also have the same Mini Bike Guide article from 1969 and I bought that off e-bay. I must confess a very sad occurrence that I am guilty of . In 1987 I was moving from one house to another and I made the dumb decision to throw away two Powell mini bikes frames and some wheels into the dump in Hillsboro, Or for this surly some day I will forgive myself . But passably not.
I hope that from this you can passably decipher the year and date of the Powell that you have . the first two numbers should be the year and the other following numbers should be the production number. just remember these Powells were made by senior citizens in this era and their production numbers were lower than some company's . The Powell's were very nice people to visit their place and their was never a rush , rush environment there . Hope this helps Steve Durham
Could you condense that a little? I'm not into novels...

INJUNTOM : You think that's bad you should talk to me on the phone LOL . See when you get OLD you have to tell all the stories to someone or bust. So the internet is like a reading room of both fact and fictional stories some people do their life in real small circles and never venture far from home base.. But guys like me keep looking down the road for the next adventure and barn full of other peoples left behind dreams. See there I go again !
All I can say is think God there is spell check LOL
Steve :scooter: