Crank Shaft Play

My son has a doodle bug that is stock with the exception of a ProMod jackshaft (which we love, by the way). I noticed this weekend while lubing the cluch bushing that the crank shaft has about 1/16 inch or slightly more of play in it. It is not side to side, but in and out. That doesn't seem normal to me. I can't recall that I could ever push and pull a crank shaft in and out that much.

The oil does seem to get dirty with little metalic particles very frequently, so I assume the engine is wearing. However, the bike probably has no more than 20 hours on it, so I wouldn't expect this much wear.

I've got a 6.5 on the shelf, but I don't think he is ready for that speed yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks,

Crank end play is your friend. A little more is better than to have not enough. It will help the rod and piston to center itself. I would be concerned if the oil coming out was filled w/ metallic flakes.

vette66_00

My son has a doodle bug that is stock with the exception of a ProMod jackshaft (which we love, by the way). I noticed this weekend while lubing the cluch bushing that the crank shaft has about 1/16 inch or slightly more of play in it. It is not side to side, but in and out. That doesn't seem normal to me. I can't recall that I could ever push and pull a crank shaft in and out that much.

The oil does seem to get dirty with little metalic particles very frequently, so I assume the engine is wearing. However, the bike probably has no more than 20 hours on it, so I wouldn't expect this much wear.

I've got a 6.5 on the shelf, but I don't think he is ready for that speed yet.

Any thoughts? Thanks,
These stock engines do wear out pretty fast. If you starting to see mini flakes of metal in the oil. Be ready to get the 6.5 out of the box.
Oh and BTW the 6.5 will not be any faster on the top end. Both are 3600 rpm governed. But the 6.5 will get you there faster for sure.