Crankshaft removal for drill and tap ??

I have an older Tec H60 that needs to have the crankshaft center drilled and tapped for a clutch retainer bolt and washer. Does anyone know if the crankshaft would need to be removed for this or can it be drilled while still installed ? Thank you very much.

well if your doing it on a lathe yes it has to come out for best results . if you have a drill bushing no you could just slip it on and drill it and run the tap in there .
there was a few that were made on here no idea where they are now . was talk about making some but there was never any real progress made as to doing it .

i have toyed with the idea of making some drill guides and tap kits as this how to drill a shaft comes up pretty often .

Metal Man, thanks for the info. With a name like metal man, I'm guessing you know your :censure:. If you ever make any drill guides and tap kits soon, please let me know. I just don't have the tools to do this myself but I wish I did. Never did it before, but always like trying new things. Thanks again.

Marshall Man if your one of them people who can hold a drill dead strait and drill a hole in round stock ya . at one time i could do a pretty good job like that , im not that good any more and would mess it up im sure .

I have done it with a hand drill,you are replacing metal you drill out with a metal bolt. so even if you are a little off there will not be any balance problems.

I hang the motor by the crank from a collet in my Bridgeport. Then clamp an angle block to the engine base and bolt the angle block to the Bridgeport table. It is centered and ready to drill and tap.

I made a drill guide, and have used it to drill cranks on three engines. You don't need to remove the crank, but you really should use a drill press.
Set the engine on it's pull starter, on a rag, on the drill press (crank up). Make a small slit in a towel, slip the crank through, cover entire motor. Slip drill guide over crank. Drill 21/64" hole about 1-1/2" deep. Use oil when drilling and cutting threads with 3/8"-24 fine thread tap. I use a pen magnet to clean out the hole. You must contain metal shavings! You don't want them getting into the flywheel/magneto. I made my guide on a lathe out of 1" stock that was 2-1/2" long. I drilled it all the way through 21/64". Then I opened it up to 3/4", only half the way down.