Critique My Bike 2

Mac

I'd like to get an honest opinion as to whether or not my Bird Wren can be saved.
I don't do restorations, so I don't know if it's possible to bring my bike back.
My frontend is slightly pushed backward, and the main frame has a bit of a hump.

Last edited:
Mac, I guess anything can be saved. :doah:

What front wheel is that? Is it anything like this? The wheel bearings are on the inside of the rim with pins. :doah:

Last edited:

Mac

What front wheel is that? Is it anything like this? The wheel bearings are on the inside of the rim with pins. :doah:
.....Mine is a 5" Azusa HexStar, Yours is a King'O'Lawn/Mickey Bike 6" rim.
I have a few of each

I have a few of each
Great thanks Mac! I haven't taken these apart yet, do they use regular bearings or tapered? Are they worth anything? I got them with a basket case frame. :doah: "Critique bike".

Mac

Great thanks Mac! I haven't taken these apart yet, do they use regular bearings or tapered? Are they worth anything? I got them with a basket case frame. :doah: "Critique bike".
.....Not tapered, but much larger O.D. than normal.
I can't find any buyers for mine.
Maybe you'll be luckier where you are.
Injuntom might need them in the future.
He might like to see that basket.

I have a few of each
Mac, The Mickey didn't use those wheels. They used the ones like the Astros only more of a "pointed" spoke.

BTW, I may need a set of those 6" wheels for my Aggie if my buddy doesn't trade me for a set of Mickeys I have.

den35

Honestly,Mac.It would all depend on how much you want to save it.Auto body shops can straighten badly mangled car frames.Yours just needs to be pulled forward a few notches,so I can't see it being all that hard.And if you can find a body shop that will help you,it shouldn't be very expensive.

Or you could try and do it yourself with some chain,a ratchet block and two trees.

Remove the rear wheel & forks. Put a garde 8 bolt through through the rear axle holes, (use spacers to make sure the chain stays centered between the axle holes). Attache the other end of the chain to a tree or other ridgid object. Loop a heavy duty tow strap around the steering head attach a winch or come-a-long to the strap and another ridgid object. Now start pulling SLOWLY. You'll be amazed at how the frame pulls back to its correct shape. If you don't go slow it'll go too far before you can stop it.

The forks will be more difficult. Put them back on, remove the wheel and put a grade 8 bolt through as in the rear. Attach the tow strap and start pulling VERY, VERY, VERY SLOWLY. Monitor your prrogress carefully. Too fast and the frame will try to deform again, or the forks will bend out. Hopefully, the steering head will return to it's correct rake.

This is only a start but it might get you in the ball park.

Caution! Don't let anyone near this while you're pulling. Winching of any kind is VERY dangerous. The come-a-long puts you directly in the line of fire if something breaks, so take measures to protect yourself. Each time you stop to check your progress, walk up to the frame from the sides, not the front or back, and don't get too close.

Once you get it where you want it, check all welds & repair. Especially the steering head, (it looks pretty bad).

Good Luck & work SAFE.

Mac

Mac, The Mickey didn't use those wheels. They used the ones like the Astros only more of a "pointed" spoke.
....Ha ha....Yeah, realized what I wrote, but figured nobody would catch it.
You must have 20/20.

Guess we should mention "Aggie".

Last edited: