Cryogenic metal treatment

Sdr1

Does anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking that it would be a good way to strengthen flywheel and rod for engines that have no aftermarket parts. Maybe it could be used to safely get a couple thousand rpms from a engine.It doesn't look to be cost prohibitive considering the benefits. I am not advocating not using billet parts,just thinking it would be a way to get an orphan engine to be able to turn 5 or 6k rpms.

From what I've read, it doesn't make parts all that much stronger, but does increase thier wear resistance. There was an article in a drag racing publication a few years ago, where a couple pro-stock cars had built thier engines utilizing cryo-treatment, and they discovered that the parts showed a fair amount less wear than thier non-treated counterparts. They were able to re-use more parts in freshening thier motors.
IMO, I would agree with you. You might not get that many more revs out of her, but she'll last longer with the treatment.

Roger

Sdr1

Yeah,I didn't think it would allow 8k rpm (well, maybe once),but might give a small safety margin for short bursts to 6k.although, I'm not willing to be test pilot#1.

The guy I bought my sled from had this process done to the complete motor bolts too. He raced it from 1999 to 2004. Never had a problem with it blowing up and that was running 105 mph in a 1000 foot ice drags. I still have the sled and it still runs good. Rich the guy I bought it from said it is one of the best things you could do for durability.