Customer said it was leaking oil..........

Think this might have something to do with it?? :doah:

25HP Briggs Intek Twin V.................that will cost him!!!!!

Seriously what options does he have or should I say what options can I present to him. This motor is no good for obvious reasons. A new briggs will cost him $800 not including my time. Time for a new mower?

Seems like it would be worth a try to weld it and see how it hold up.
If it doesn't hold, you haven't lost anything cuz the cases were toast anyway.

How old is it? I'd run it back to Briggs and see if they would honor the cracked case with at least a short block. I did that once with a Mercury outboard, they took my split block and sent it back to the lab boys to look into. Worst case, they say no and off you go.:shrug: Worth a try.

To make it easy I told him it was toast.....not worth trying to find a block. A new engine would cost almost as much as a new rider. For someone to even replace the block....would be labor intensive and not something I want to do. Its toast. Its just easier that way! LOL

Creekside Welding & Machining

These guys take 60 year old engine and transmission cases that have been busted into four, five or six pieces and weld them back together, mill any machined surfaces and even get very close to matching the surface texture of the castings. And their work is very reasonably priced too. Click on their PREVIOUS WORK link if you want to see some amazing work. Would not be worth it to weld up some throw-away jap bike engine, but for cases that are rare or very expensive to replace, these are your guys.

IMO how did the cracks happened?

Engine blew up?

Bad vibrations?

:confused::eek:ut:
my guess would be vibration. It will run but sure will use some oil doing it! LOL
Ive never ridden the thing so i dont know all the details. I do know the guy that brought it to me paid $425 for it not running.........apparently the guy he bought it from had it apart and couldnt start it on the spot. Not sure what he was doing or maybe he came across the crack when it was smaller and decided to bail the machine to the next guy. What i do know is that crack isnt good and its expected to only get worse. as it is now its dumping oil all over the belts and the machine wont move very well due to slippage. Should have bought an old wheelhorse!

If its a horizontal, find out if the owner is interested what it costs to ship to 46368 and what he wants for it and I'll take it fix it and ride it.

If it is a vertical shaft maybe these would help you out.....
2 Briggs & Stratton Motors

2 Brand new Briggs & Stratton Intek 21 Horse motors. Complete motors ready to bolt on, never been ran and still in box! These both also have the same 6 prong electical plug ins as all the Kholer engines. Asking $400 each or $680 both and Im firm on the price! Call, text or email 740 six29 3185

welding it, be it tig or whatnot, done properly will be just as strong as new, if not better. Alot of 200+ horsepower triple and quad snowmobile engines are all welded together aluminum crankcases useing 2, 3 or 4 twin cylinder cases, then cut, pieced together, then welded inline and they hold up to the abuse and put out serious power.

The dillema is your gonna have to pull it all down, as you said, and that aluminum needs to be 100% free of any oil, and its labor intensive. When your doing for a customer, cost is an issue, if its your own, labor cost isnt such an issue, the issue then becomes whatever your times is worth to you.