D.I.Y. homemade valve spring compressor for $6!

okay so i needed a valve spring compressor to install my valves in my xr50 race head, and couldnt find one at a local auto store, and the ones online were expensive and i didnt want to wait for shipping.... so i made my own!
took a 6" C-clamp, and welded a 5/8" tube to it and made a cut out so i can install the keepers, then i just clear coated it and thats it! worked perfectly!

okay so i needed a valve spring compressor to install my valves in my xr50 race head, and couldnt find one at a local auto store, and the ones online were expensive and i didnt want to wait for shipping.... so i made my own!
took a 6" C-clamp, and welded a 5/8" tube to it and made a cut out so i can install the keepers, then i just clear coated it and thats it! worked perfectly!
Nice deal, i made ine just like that couple years ago for my 390, only thing i did different was i took the foot off the screw end so it would center it self on the valve and i cut out both sides of the tubing....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice deal, i made ine just like that couple years ago for my 390, only thing i did different was i took the foot off the screw end so it would center it self on the valve and i cut out both sides of the tubing....:thumbsup::thumbsup:
yeh i was going to cut both sides of tubing, but this tube was small, but im going to make another one with a 8" clamp, using bigger tubing, and then i will cut both sides. i just made this one to fit my application.:thumbsup:

yeh i was going to cut both sides of tubing, but this tube was small, but im going to make another one with a 8" clamp, using bigger tubing, and then i will cut both sides. i just made this one to fit my application.:thumbsup:
Sweet, yea mine was made for a 390, with a much larger spring OD, i just finished porting a head and making some oversize valves like the one in your pic, they definitely have some small retainers in them things:facepalm:

Sweet, yea mine was made for a 390, with a much larger spring OD, i just finished porting a head and making some oversize valves like the one in your pic, they definitely have some small retainers in them things:facepalm:
haha yess, and the keepers were a pain in the A** to get in, ill post pics of the new one i make... when i makeee it haha