Decided to build my MTD Trail Flite.

Since I cannot seem to sell it, and I just rapped up a project, I decided to do some work on my mini bike. I don't like to type a lot and I know people don't like to read a lot, so pics.

Heres my 1983 ATC250R I just "finished" up. I realize it still needs lots of purtying up done, but that is all high dollar stuff that it needs, so it will have to wait.

Here is how the mini bike currently sits.

And here is hopefully the donor to get this thing going.

I really don't have too many plans for this besides get tires on her, do any engine work that needs done, make the brakes work and throw a 22mm kehin carb on with thumb throttle

Last pic is why I am not going to get any work done.

I hate spiders.

Josh

This is the one that watched me build the three wheeler. The plank he is on is about 5'' wide.

I really hate big spiders.

Here are the stock style wheel bearings. The outer race (pictured left) is pressed in the wheel. You then load the loose balls (pictured center) in there. Finally you stick the axle through and the inner race (pictured right) is threaded on the axle and used to adjust bearing preload.

Last edited:
Damm spiders...where do you live ??? so I make sure I never go there . I got bitten by a black widow as a kid.........spent 3 days in the hospital. I could of lost my leg had I not got there so quick :cursing:

Have not found any bearings to fit the MTD wheel. I am going to try and use the rear wheel from the mini chopper.

I lie right above Toledo. Those spiders are Wolf spiders, which are "suppose" to be harmless.

I got the original front wheel mounted on the bike with the original bearings posted above.

I have no school today, so I might be able to get the rear wheel on pending spiders. Then I have to make an intake for my new carby. Check spark and compression an oil, then try to start it up

I believe it is too big to be a brown recluse.

I am no spider expert though...

I did some searching and am pretty sure it is a Wolf spider.

Brown recluse are way skinnier, and a solid lighter brown color.

Last edited:
I don't know if I should make a new thread for this else where, but I will just put it here since it is for the engine to go in this project.

I have the 5HP Briggs engine in this bike. It needs work done, so I figure might as well make more power with it. Here are some of my plans, let me know if there is something wrong with them or what not.

-22mm Kiehin carb.
-3HP coil and flywheel
-head decked .030 Have to see if they could do it on an angle to raise the C.R. with out affecting flow too much
-brow shaved
-might pull out the valves and do some mild port cleaning
-Might get a raptor 3 con rod, but I really don't expect too high of RPMs

That is all I have really thought of. I am not looking to spend much money.
I already have the carb from a 3 wheeler. My brother or his friend should be able to mill the head for me for free. And I already need a new coil, might as well just get the stuff off a 3HP motor.

Last edited: