Does this happen to you?

Jleon

Went out to the shop this afternoon, fired up the wood stove and just sat there and stared at the bike. Couldn't get motivated- nothing-nada- zip. Ended up at the local watering hole, came back to a nice warm shop and still nothing.I did hook up a new stereo and CD player so all was not lost. Thanks for letting me vent!:bored:

boy sounds like me. sometimes i just stare at prjects i have and think about how they will be when done. i have a nice recliner in my garage and thats part of the problem.

happens all the time. I get all my work cloths on and go out to the garage and stare trying to think of somthing to do. usually i come up empty. What really sucks is when you have a progect going full bore thinking you have all the parts you need and realize you cant use somthing and dont have time to go searching for parts till the next weekend

yea, one day i just sat staring at my minis, but after about 20 minutes, i thought up one of the most original ideas that i have ever thought of: a vertical shaft minibike. sounds impossible, but i went to thinking that alls you have to do is make a new engine plate to mount the vertical shaft engine, and just buy a right-angle gearbox and mount it right behind the engine! then you can run either a belt (with or without a clutch) or chain from the engine to the gearbox, and then a chain from the gearbox to the rear sprocket. it would be feasible and pretty easy to do, and just think, then you can mount a HUGE engine on it if you wanted, since vertical shaft engines don't get tall, they just get wide.

am i crazy or is this a good idea for you guys?

Last edited:
Oh I know that feeling!

Sometimes when working on a big project, a problem pops up and I have no inspiration. I just stare at it and it seems I either:

- Can't find a solution at all
- Find a solution that is WAY to complex

So when that happens I just quit for the day and "sleep on it". Usually the solution comes to me naturally when I wake up the next day, and it is usually stupidly simple! When I'm tired or stessed it seems I can't think anymore.

Other times I go into the garage just to sit there and look at what I have done up to now. I just listen to some good music and walk around my project, admiring it. I call that "reseach and development time" :biggrin:

I may not get anything done physically, but it is highly motivating to see a project take shape and it gives me ideas for future parts of the project.

That happens to me when I have so many things that I want to get done that I don't know where to begin. So, like smallbikes 88 (above) I plop down in the
lazyboy in my shop and watch tv or take a nap. I worked for 40 years and I
figure I earned the right to do what I want, when I want, and how I want.
No guilt here. Ogy

07D675

yea, one day i just sat staring at my minis, but after about 20 minutes, i thought up one of the most original ideas that i have ever thought of: a vertical shaft minibike. sounds impossible, but i went to thinking that alls you have to do is make a new engine plate to mount the vertical shaft engine, and just buy a right-angle gearbox and mount it right behind the engine! then you can run either a belt (with or without a clutch) or chain from the engine to the gearbox, and then a chain from the gearbox to the rear sprocket. it would be feasible and pretty easy to do, and just think, then you can mount a HUGE engine on it if you wanted, since vertical shaft engines don't get tall, they just get wide.

am i crazy or is this a good idea for you guys?
I've thought about that same thing! Aren't vertical shaft engines a bit cheaper than horizontals also?