Doodle trouble

JTsmks

Hi all, my son's DB30 has been going strong for about two weeks and just today it started to make a strange "wirring" sound at idle and then it tries to move forward while at idle. Does this sound like the clutch or maybe something with the governer? It's a stock set-up with the set screw backed out. Approx 2 weeks run time since new all on the tar no dirt.

If you have a stock one, most likely the clutch burned out, the sprocket size usuall burns the clutch out and the stock clutch seems to be a POS. I believe the newer models have a bigger rear sprocket now for that reason.

FWIW, they are MUCH better with a 6.5 clone, Tav 2 and lowered fenders. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

den35

I may be wrong,but it sounds like the clutch to me.

Try this.(it sounds goofy,but it works)

Take a 3foot length of garden hose,hold one end to your ear,put the other end near various points around the engine while it's running,and listen for the whirring sound.This should work like a mechanics stethascope and help find the source of the sound.

I'm betting the clutch because thats how I got mine CHEAP (did it off and on)

People sell them real cheap in like new brand cond because the clutch goes and they give up and dad doesn't know what to do. I could be up to my elbows in cheap doodles if I wanted more than one.

JTsmks

Can someone tell me if the stock db30 has a 5/8th or 1/2" shaft. The bikes over at a friends with my son (sleep over weekend) and I'd like to order one today. I'm pretty sure it's a 35 chain. Thanks.

it should be a 5/8" shaft and #35 chain.

i'm pretty sure that's correct, but you might want to do a search. i know it's been discussed on here.

More than likely, your clutch bushing has burned out to to lack of lubrication. The bushing should be lubed with about 4 drops of sae-30 about every two hours of riding time. Kids are hard on clutches and some say you cant over-oil the clutch bushing. Apply the oil right behind the snap ring. You'll see it on the left side of the clutch where the housing meets the drive shaft. I's possible that you can get away with oiling it at this point, however most likely the damage has been done. Be careful not to get any oil in the
inner workings of the clutch.

if there are holes in the outer part of the clutch, check to make sure there aren't any broken springs. i've had this happen to me twice.

Yes they are the same. Some come with different tire tread patterns and different colors.
Mine is a db30g. G is for green and its called a baja racer. Mine sports a 6.5 hongda and a Max-Torque clutch. Also, some have 2 sets of slots on the mounting plate. Mine had only one set.